Thinking of going manual brakes on street car, Need some input. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 11:49 PM

Last journal entry: New ride3
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thinking of going manual brakes on street car, Need some input.

I am not posting this on the Mustang site i frequent because the answer will be bias.

I have a 1995 Mustang GT thats getting a Gen II Viper V10. The motor takes up alot of room because of its height.

Current rotors are 13" up front with 2 piston calipers and 11.25" rotors in the rear with single piston calipers.(Cobra brakes)

I have three options for the brake master cylinder.

1: Get a 1" bore MC and 7" booster. Move it over 1/2" away from the motor. But changing the rear spark plug will be a major PITA with the booster in. I will also most likely need a vacuum canister, due to my cam.

2: Relocate the Master cylinder and 7" booster to the inner driver fender. Lots of little modifications and levers needed.

3:Manual brakes with this kit.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...oducts_id=1235

So my favorite option is the manual brakes. Looks cleaner and is supposed to have a better feel if done correctly. I have driven old cars with manual brakes and they were not that bad. Drove a 73 Camaro(Road Racecar) with Manual brakes and disk on all 4 corners. It was barely firmer then brakes running a booster. I liked it alot better, as it didnt take alot of effort to move the pedal and it stopped better then most cars I had driven.

That experience makes me think i could maybe get the same effect.

How many guys are running manual brakes on the street? Opinions, thoughts?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 05:08 AM
More for Less Racer

I removed the power brake booster on my '72 Nova, disc front/drum rear, and stopping is the same. Only difference is it takes a slight bit more pedal effort and slightly longer pedal travel, but like you have said I feel it has a better "feel" for what the brakes are doing.

I did it just because I was using cams too big to run power brakes, even with a reserve can.

I've done the same with an S-10 with 4 wheel disc, good stopping power there also.

All a power brake booster does is reduce pedal effort, it doesn't do anything to help braking power. Good for old folks and soccer moms.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:24 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

I'm running manual brakes on my camaro i got a set-up from SSBC and added front disc with a different M/C and kept the rear drum, works really good IMHO.

Cole
Old 03-05-2011, 07:04 AM

Last photo:

p/b's

as nova mentioned of the increased peddle pressure.. on my bucket we normally use a 7/1 ratio. u may need to increase that to 8/1 for added help.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:49 AM

There is a different location on the Brake pedal on some cars for the master cylinder pushrod for power and non power brakes.Some cars have a different pedal some 2 holes.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:51 AM

Hydro boost is another option, it works with ps pressure.It is on many gm trucks and vans.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:13 AM

Last journal entry: New ride3
Last photo:

I have no power steering, so no hydro boost. I am going with a Pinto/Mustang II quick ratio manual rack.

I originally was going to use hydro boost but I didnt want potential leaks or any other problems that would be associated with it.

IMO- its cleaner and less hassle without it. And less weight.

That manual brake kit I posted comes with a pedal lever that has a different geometry. So its easier on you to push the pedal. Also the pedal itself has 6 mounting positions that supposedly helps you "fine tune the leverage".

Thanks for your input guys. I didnt think the booster was anything but an aid in braking. Most people seem to think if you take it out you lose alot of the braking power.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually502
I have no power steering, so no hydro boost. I am going with a Pinto/Mustang II quick ratio manual rack.

I originally was going to use hydro boost but I didnt want potential leaks or any other problems that would be associated with it.

IMO- its cleaner and less hassle without it. And less weight.

That manual brake kit I posted comes with a pedal lever that has a different geometry. So its easier on you to push the pedal. Also the pedal itself has 6 mounting positions that supposedly helps you "fine tune the leverage".

Thanks for your input guys. I didnt think the booster was anything but an aid in braking. Most people seem to think if you take it out you lose alot of the braking power.
Sounds like you have it all figured out with the kit, let us know how it works out.

Cole

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.