Thinning filler

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  baddbob 
#1 ·
What can I thin body filler with?
I know they make a product for this but
some people are using lacquer thinner and
I was wondering, is that ok?

#2 ·
You would be much better off getting a polyesther putty like Icing or Evercoat. They are pretty thin, go on nice and sand out real easy. Screwing around with the bondo may cause adhesion problems down road...
Mark

#4 ·
You can use Evercoat's Plastic Honey if you need to thin your filler, but IMO you'd be way better off using a polyester glazecoat instead. Evercoat's easy sand works good, Upol's Dolphin Glaze, many similar products out there. Laquer thinner will give you a shorter window for good spreading, plastic honey will make for a tackier top surface unless you let is set longer.

Just buy some EasySand or Dolphin glaze. Or you can switch to Evercoat's Rage Extreme which is a very smooth spreading medium bodied filler. Bob

#6 ·
#7 ·
baddbob said:
Or you can switch to Evercoat's Rage Extreme which is a very smooth spreading medium bodied filler. Bob
Bob, you like that xtreme filler? I just started using it at work and soon found myself wishing for some Gold. I thought it was too thin for filler, ran too much.
Althou it does elimate the need to two products, but in IMO it makes the "filler" process a tad harder.

#9 ·
I like the extreme, the gold and regular rage work just fine and can go on thicker for sure, but I haven't had any problems getting the fill I need with the extreme- just spreads so much nicer IMO, less prone to pinholes too. The regular rage and gold seem to sand better while soft/green but most of my sanding is done after full cure so makes no diff to me. All three are good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.