Hot Rod Forum banner

Thnk you F bird

1K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  bygddy 
#1 ·
It lives! Did the cam break in, had to kill it a few times, melted 4 plug wires, but got it done, doesn't overheat, idles nice, crisp throttle response, but more importantly, it pulls like a raped ape, with conservitive timing, 12 initial, 32 total, it sets u in your seat big time, and from a roll in first it will destroy the tires through all three gears till u lift....I'm absolutely stunned, no idea what I'm leaving on the table with timing and Carb but oddly enough it feels dead right, no bog, no stumble, just lots of nuts......I do have to pull the intake cause both ends are leaking big time, but its not a huge issue....oh and turns out open side pipes are indeed too loud, but all minor sht that I can address shortly....so thank you for your advice and head porting tutorial....I'm a pretty happy guy!

#3 ·
77 Vette, pulled out of a field after 7 years, paint is trash, but had a stock 350 reman put in just before it got parked, new ish interior, I decided to throw a bunch of left over and junk parts at it and see if I could make it fun for no money. Had a set of 416 heads laying around, followed f-birds tutorial and spent about 40 hrs porting them, had the machine shop install bigger intake valves, bought a small lunati cam in pursuit of torque, ported an old performer intake to match heads, 1" Carb spacer, and threw the stock reman Qjet back on. It has 411 gears and good lord, today was my first drive, and it works.......well.....real well....figured out that headers to 6" dynomax bullet in front of 3" sidepipes is indeed way too loud....also discovered that the dumb rubber intake end gaskets musdta slipped and leak like a seive....so will address that this week....It has a bunch of autometer guages, Hurst pistol grip shifter, and a flat black L88 hood on a yellow car, best of all I have maybe 3500 in the entire deal Inc the car.....and about 700$ in this little junkyard jewel.....that's my story.....

#5 ·
Surprisingly the frame is really good, I had a reputable vette guy look over it, the bird cage is garbage, as is the Rad support, rusted right through, but the rest is very solid Inc the trailing arms. Yah, the 411's are a riot, more so with a real motor up front....on a side note, the " field" was actually a pad of gravel beside a barn, when my buddy and I first went to see it it had sunk until it was actually sitting on the frame......pretty funny actually....

#7 ·
g tech is close to .4 seconds or so and gps is within 50 feet,so do the math.114 mph is an 11 second car? I would try a few more tests,,, 3200 pound car(vettes hook well) with 200 pounds of driver and fuel needs 360 HP to pull 13s 420 hp would see low 12s,all of course depending on the rest of the car working well.If you took out some weight then your car is likely quite quick.

#8 ·
Spent some time Googling tonight, seems they are 4-5mph optimistic as a rule. Which given the 108 Ish MPH would put me in the ball park of a low 13.....which still seems optimistic for my junk,......and the dang track is closed till next year....

#10 ·
Yah, gonna try weighing it this week, but I absolutely know its not anywhere close to a 12 second car lol, I'm guessing a high 13 at best based on the junk parts I threw together....it really does squat and hook tho....today I got a free gigantic "be cool" elec fan and a Holley 650.....so gonna look for a used rpm airgap this week!

#11 ·
My car squatted really bad and when I put more power to it the left front lifted and the squat was worse.I put a 7 pack steele spring kit in it to replace the single fibre glass spring.Im so surprised how har these cars leave.
another thought,consider the BB 1/2 shafts and read your rule book to see if you need drive shaft loop(s)

#12 ·
We'll thankfully, and unfortunately I have the winter to worry about getting it set up, tracks are all closed now, I think I will put my shift kit in it tommorow, and I'm hunting for a used airgap and converter before the spring. And if the price is right a used NOS plate kit just for giggles....;) my buddy is going to do a quick scuff and shoot in the spring to make it presentable. The only "new" stuff I'm goin to pick up over the winter is the 4" rally's from jegs, some skinnys for the front and a 255 drag radial for the rear.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.