Thoughts on 383 Stroker plan - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2005, 01:50 AM
Perfectionist Procrastinator

Last journal entry: Moving along
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thoughts on 383 Stroker plan

In about a month I plan on swapping my tired 350 for a 383 stroker engine I started building several years ago but never finished. I'll start with all of the info:

-1970 Nova
-Factory four-speed trans
-3.73 rear gears
-Original 350 engine
-Daily Driver
-Hoping for power up to around 5,500 RPM or so

New block is a 1990 350. All of the machine work is done on the block itself. The crank, rods and pistons are already assembled and balanced. Here is what I hope to do with it:

-1990 350 block, .030 overbore
-Stroker crank (I forget the exact specs)
-Refurbished stock rods
-Flat top pistons
-#441 stock GM iron heads, 74cc chambers, 160cc runners, 1.94/1.50 valves
-Edelbrock Streetmaster intake (single plane)
-Holly 4160 four barrel, 750cfm, vacuum secondaries
-Some old no-name headers, 2 1/2" straight pipes

If you're wondering why I'm going with the stock 1970 heads that are currently in the Nova and the Sreetmaster intake, it's because I'm on a tight budget and already have these parts on hand.

The heads will get some port work done, whatever is needed to match it to the rest of the engine as best as I can. There is a small possibility of buying some Vortecs, but I'm not planning on it at this point.

The cam is one of my big question marks. I have one on hand that I'd like to use (for now at least):
-Crane Cams part number 109821
-Advertised duration: 276/284
-Duration @ .050: 214/222
-Lift: 488/509
Further specs found here

I plan on swapping over all the rest of the stuff from the old engine to make the new one function. I'm hoping for a decent performance increase over the currently mostly stock 350 while spending under $1,000 in machine work and misc. parts and accessories while keeping the car down for only a few days for the actual swap.

Any criticism, advice or info is most appreciated.

-Adam

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2005, 08:17 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

My opinion, is you have some great potential planned that is going to be choked to death by the small valve, big combustion chambered heads. You will have the low end torque, but it will be wheezing for breath approaching 5000 RPM.

trees
Old 09-26-2005, 05:08 PM

Last photo:

Another reason for using those heads is my static compression will be around 10.5:1 (assuming zero deck height) and that's about as high as I want to go if I plan on running this on pump gas.

If I buy new heads, I'm going to need to keep that chamber size so my compression doesn't get too high. If I do buy some new ones (Vortecs), would 74cc chambers, 2.02/1.60 valves and maybe a 180cc runner solve this breathing problem?

Last edited by Arcuden; 09-26-2005 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:43 PM

Hi, I am running about 10.75:1 on pump gas with my 383. The heads are 195cc intake runners and 64cc combustion chamber alluminum heads,the head gaskets are .028 and the pistons are .010 in the hole. I used those head gaskets to tighten up the quench area. I also used Speed Pro H860cp pistons (two valve relief). When we built my engine I debated a while before I bought the cam and in the end I would not have been happy with anything smaller than the one we picked (509 533 lift & 244 254 duration @ .050). Some people say that this cam is too big for a street motor but if you match everything together you should not have a problem. Mine runs really good with this combo and it is sitting in a 87 S10 pickup. We used a turbo 350 with a transgo shift kit and 3500 stall converter. I can not get on it very hard right now because it still has the factory rearend in it and I had to have surgery, but here before long we will tackle putting a good rearend in it and see what it really has in it. John
Old 09-26-2005, 08:54 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

Is that your compression given your 76 cc heads or is that based on a 64 cc head? Either way, the compression will help make some good power, whether it turn out to be a stump puller or a little more of a screamer. I wish I had built mine a little differently, right now it's a torque monster that wants to be a screamer and not doing a convincing job at either. I would have added little more compression to put it over 10:1 and tightened up my quench with some different headgaskets. Although one thing I have noticed, my stroker is a slower revver than my dad's 350, but that is to be expected with a longer stroke and a little more weight to throw around. The heads are going to a limiting factor but my heads quit breathing around 5800 with a good peak around 5000-5200 and shifting at 5500. You will have fun with newfound power in the few extra cubes.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:09 AM

Last photo:

The 10.5:1 compression is based on 74cc chambers. I can't go any smaller without going to dished pistons, which I really do not want to do since it means more money in parts and machine work, and lost time.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:09 AM

If you match your cam,compression, & heads together a 383 strocker will rev just as fast if not faster than a good built 355 will. My buddy has a 355 in his S10 and mine revs faster than his. We built his engine a couple of years ago, both have flat top pistons. His cam is a comp extreme energy and a little bit smaller than mine, but the big factor is the heads. He has got 461 double hump heads that was put together with matching springs, screw in studs,guide plates with 1.94 1.50 valves. We pocket ported his and they are also shaved a little. But mine are alluminumn after market heads that flow alot better than his ever will. Don`t get me wrong GM has put out some good heads over the years. But before I would spend 600 to 700 dollars on a set of factory heads, I would look at the after market world first. Vortec heads flow well but by the time you buy another intake to fit. You can invest in a set of after market heads that can grow with whatever you do to your engine. Just my two cents!!!
Old 09-27-2005, 07:00 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
My opinion, is you have some great potential planned that is going to be choked to death by the small valve, big combustion chambered heads. You will have the low end torque, but it will be wheezing for breath approaching 5000 RPM.

trees
While I agree you could do better with different heads I don't agree that it will be "wheezing" at 5,000. I ran 1.94 441's with some mild pocket porting on my old flat top 383 with an old Erson TQ30 Hyd. cam wich was ground on 111 LS vs. 114 for the new TQ30's and it pulled like a freight train to 6,000 plus. The limiting factor is going to be the Streetmaster, get a better intake when your budget allows. Your proposed 383 is not that different from the one I built back in the day and while it's not the optimum setup for a 383 I think it will run pretty good and you can always swap heads later on.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:47 PM

Last photo:

I know this is something that I can find just by calling my local shops, but I was wondering if somebody can give me a ballpark price figure for cylinder head cleanup, valve job and some mild porting? What can I expect to pay at a reputable machine shop for good work?

I'm trying to compare the prices for freshening up the 441's or just buying a new set.

EDIT: Forgot to mention; Inland Empire (Southern) California area, if it makes a difference.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:35 PM

Last photo:

Make sure you get the rotating assembly balanced. If you're paying for the port work it will not be economical to go with your stock 441's (many hours of work). These heads do have potential though and should support 450hp easily if the right mods are made. Buy David Vizard's Book on cylinder heads and do the port work and assembly yourself. Having the guides replaced and the seats cut for 2.02/1.60 valves with some bowl hogging and milling shouldn't be too expensive- $300ish. Bob

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.