Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   Thoughts (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/thoughts-62773.html)

MI2600 05-15-2005 02:03 PM

Thoughts

Coming back from brunch today, I was passed by a "decked out" ricer. It occurred to me that when I talk to my son, I can talk about the fast Chevys, Fords, and Mopars from my day.

What will today's ricers talk about to their kids? "I had a park bench on the back of my 4-cylinder Honda, a fart can, and lots of decals"? Boy, I can imagine the impression that will make.

lanierledford 05-15-2005 02:11 PM

rice burners

park bench, I though it was a towel rack?

schnitz 05-15-2005 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanierledford
park bench, I though it was a towel rack?

Picnic table.

In a while, Chet.

coldknock 05-15-2005 02:33 PM

Well, our kids will talk about the cars we built and used to put the fartboxes to shame. They will be mechanics/engineers and build real hotods.

The fartbox owners children will become politicians because gramps taught him how to be a convincing liar when he was talking about drag racing.

Larry

MI2600 05-15-2005 05:00 PM

Good point. I know my son was inspired by working on cars and became an engineer. I think it was the challenge of problem solving.

Well, if tomorrow's politicians are today's ricers, I wonder what today's politicians drove?

poncho62 05-15-2005 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MI2600
Well, if tomorrow's politicians are today's ricers, I wonder what today's politicians drove?

Citroens and Reanult Daulphines..........................

helrazr3 05-15-2005 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MI2600
Good point. I know my son was inspired by working on cars and became an engineer. I think it was the challenge of problem solving.

the backs of all the rest of us :P

WakBordr7387 05-15-2005 10:31 PM

Im part of the younger crowd here so Ill probably be putting up with people my age when I have kids telling everyone how cool their ricers were. But when I have a son of my own, Ill make sure he knows what horsepower is. And how to properly blow the doors off of a ricer. Just like my dad did for me! :thumbup:

Brad

hotrodgrasshopper 05-16-2005 12:08 AM

I'm fairly new to the hotrodding scene and the first thing my dad told me when i bought my first car, 87 monte carlo ss, which is my current car, is "Son this is not your ordinary car, this is American made muscle. Now I know you'll be tempted to floor it at every red light, but remember its one thing to have it, its another to know you have it, but its a third to not have to prove it. Unless its a ricer. Oh or a ford."

And i plan on saying something similar to my kid.
Or any nieces or nephews.
Or anyone else's kids
Especially ford owners kids. :rolleyes:
Or import owners kids. :P

RCastle 05-17-2005 01:32 PM

My son and daughters laugh at ricers when they buzz down the road.They all enjoy going to the rod runs on the weekends,plus the dragstrip when we get a chence,or the boy enjoys that I should say.He has already told me that the Malibu is his when he gets old enough to drive.Yeah,right.That is a fun thought for him to entertain,but it aint gonna happen.

strikingthematch 05-17-2005 02:20 PM

I have often wondered what till be tomorrows collector car... we have muscle cars and rods. Who is going to want to buy some Honda 20 years from now... it just don't make sense.

Going to the drag strip is really funny. We have a few very fast cars one really nice Chevelle that ran right up with the best :rolleyes: but it is so funny to watch a car like that take off with such raw power and go dow nthat fast and next up have some WRX or something that just zooooom and takes off it just lacks the whole sense of what I have come to think of drag racing as being lol. Sad really...

My kids will know darn well whats going on under the hood!

Chris

Dejavu 05-17-2005 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poncho62
Citroens and Reanult Daulphines..........................

Except Clinton he had an El Camino with astroturf in back.

machine shop tom 05-17-2005 03:22 PM

I REALLY have to bite my tongue when the one of the ricer crowd brings in a 4 banger piece of crap to be built ("modded'). I have to remember that most of the good cars have been taken up by us old farts and that the ones that are for sale now have been artificially inflated by the Barret farce auction.

tom

killerformula 05-17-2005 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machine shop tom
I REALLY have to bite my tongue when the one of the ricer crowd brings in a 4 banger piece of crap to be built ("modded'). I have to remember that most of the good cars have been taken up by us old farts and that the ones that are for sale now have been artificially inflated by the Barret farce auction.

tom

I have respect for anybody who has enough guts to actually take out their engine and rework it from the bottom up. Even if you rock a 4 banger, in my book, you're still cooler than some of the tools on this board who think they're cool because they're young and into the old motors, but don't know how to get they're friggin air cleaner off without starting a thread about it.

K :thumbup:

hunt101 05-17-2005 08:50 PM

I love to listen to my dads stories about his old demon (which he had to 4 years ago) and the cars he put to shame. I can remember going rice hunting and how bad he would smoke em. I always remind my ricer friends when they get big headed about how fast their ricers are. I like to tell them how it is supposed to be done when they start bragging that their car can smoke the tires. AMERICAN MUSCLE BABY :thumbup: