thoughts on dart iron eagle heads - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2010, 01:33 PM
loves ex cop cars

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i don't get it please explain??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2010, 02:00 PM
~the law

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi joe
i don't get it please explain??
i think he means time for a supercharger or blower cause you'd be dropping the compression ratio for the 76cc heads
Old 07-30-2010, 02:06 PM
loves ex cop cars

Last photo:

i'am not getting the 76cc heads.i'am getting the pro torker 64cc vortec heads.part#RHS12410K1.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:09 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

Quote:
update,after recieving ideas from members here i have decided to go with the RHS12410K1 pro torker vortecs.with that being said my question is will they work with edelbrock performer intake.part#3706,rhs says will work with early and late model intakes.i'am just asking has anyone used this set-up..thanks joe.

yes they will work, i had these heads, with the early style rpm intake on a roller 383 that i had in my old 87' blazer.

i would think about selling the one you have though and looking into a rpm, if you sell yours and then buy one used it shouldn't cost you anymore than 20-30 bucks and in my opinion will be worth it.

what is the cam that you have again
Old 07-30-2010, 02:49 PM
loves ex cop cars

Last photo:

the cam i have is comp-cams extreme energy 08-408-8 roller cam.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:55 PM
loves ex cop cars

Last photo:

ok new news,now competition products tells me i should use a vortec intake because of 170cc runners.in their add they say you can use old style or new style intakes,which i have an 87 motor i would think that included my motor.sorry i'am confused??
Old 07-30-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
ok new news,now competition products tells me i should use a vortec intake because of 170cc runners.in their add they say you can use old style or new style intakes,which i have an 87 motor i would think that included my motor.sorry i'am confused??

you're starting to confuse me, you should have no problem with the intake ports matching up with the runners in the heads. that intake is certainly made to handle 170cc runner heads, and the ports are in the stock location so i'm not real sure what they mean by this but i would still look into a used rpm intake, it's just my opinion but i dont have much use for the regular performer intake tests have shown that even on the mildest engines that there is no benifit to using the performer over the rpm.

the only difference between the early style and the vortec style intake is the bolt partern. the stock vortec heads and many aftermarket vortec heads only have the provisions for the later vortec style intake. the RHS heads have the provisions for both. there should be absolutely no problem with the intake you have and those heads.

i've just taken a look at your cam specs, and they look pretty good for a mild upgrade from stock. i might would think about using a 1.5int/1.6exh rocker set up for it though, even though the cam is a dual pattern. do you have headers if not get a set of long tube 1 5/8" headers, and run a 2.5" dual with a low restriction muffler, if you were to do this i would say that you could keep a 1.5/1.5 rocker ratio, but if you dont plan on properly upgrading the exhuast then you will need the 1.6 exhuast rockers.

i remember that this was a police cruiser (something like L90 something package) do you know what rear gears are in this car, if i remember you spoke about this about a year ago but i can remember all that was discussed. if you dont already have 3.73 rear gears and a posi then that would be my next investment if i was you.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:53 PM
loves ex cop cars

Last photo:

thanks for the reply 87z,i have to call competition products back because i think the girl i talked to was confused also.i do have 1 5/8 headers with 2.5 pipes running straight back to turbo mufflers than out the rear.i have 1.5 alum.roller rockers that are self-align.new doulble roller timming chain,these are not in car till cam is installed.the rear is still in the works,but is a 3.23.if you need any more info let me know.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:57 PM
loves ex cop cars

Last photo:

do i really need 3.73 gears to make this set-up work?i thought 3.23 would be ok for the mild build.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
do i really need 3.73 gears to make this set-up work?i thought 3.23 would be ok for the mild build.

it will but in my experiance many people look for more hp to get the driving feel they want when really all they needed was a shorter set of gears. but for a mild street car 3.23 will work just fine, just 3.73's would be more fun
Old 07-31-2010, 08:27 PM
loves ex cop cars

Last photo:

i hear what you are saying about the 3.73s 87z.i do have a chance to get a set of 3.42 gears.what do you think??
Old 07-31-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
i hear what you are saying about the 3.73s 87z.i do have a chance to get a set of 3.42 gears.what do you think??

they would help a little bit i think it would be a waste of time, i would just take my time and save the money for the 3.73's even if it doesn't get done for a year
Old 07-31-2010, 08:52 PM
loves ex cop cars

Last photo:

info well taken.i think i will go 3.73s in do time.once again thanks for insite.by the way the head misscomunication is taken care of.now it's time to get to work and make this happen.thanks to everyone for your input..JOE
Old 08-01-2010, 09:38 AM

Last photo:

GM-built Vortec heads have intake ports that are slightly raised and taller than old GENI heads. OEM intakes will not seal at the top of the intake flange. I dont know about the 3706 specifically, so I would check further.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:48 AM
loves ex cop cars

Last photo:

the heads i'am getting are RHS HEADS#12410K1,there was a confusion because i was also looking at a different set of heads first.all is well now just waiting for heads to arrive.thanks for your info..joe

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.