Thoughts on LT 1 and LS 6 Motors - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2005, 07:42 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thoughts on LT 1 and LS 6 Motors

I have no experience with either the LT 1 or LS 6 so would like to hear some thoughts on the pros and cons of both. I have heard of some moisture issues of the LT 1 Opti distributor and the gear driven water pump. I have also heard about the bottom end strength of the LS 6 because it has 8 main bolts (gotta have a lot to hold all that pounding in the alluminum block). I also would like to hear opinions on coil packs.

The reason for this, a friend of mine is thinking of going one way or the other in his nice 57 Chevy 2 door sedan. HP is not an issue for him and both motors are adequate in that department. He wants reliability and availability of dress up parts. Though the LS 6 is more bucks, he is a "dollar for dollar" value type guy and will spend more money if he thinks he is getting more.

Trees

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2005, 08:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Trees,

The LS-1 and LS-6 engines are wonderful engines. Rock solid reliability and easy horsepower. My friend has an LS-1 powered Firehawk with a turbo on it. Before he added the turbo, it had been hit continuously with nitrous and the engine never failed (although the transmission gave up the ghost several times). I think from an engineering standpoint, the LS-1/LS-6 is far superior. It will be a good deal more costly to go this route vs. the old venerable small block.

It's major drawback is that it is physically ugly for a hot rod. It would take some creativity to cause any ooohs and ahhhs when you raise the hood.

The LT-1 is still the good old small block, but with the revised reverse flow cooling. If you can find a complete LT-1 (look for old police cars), you will have a complete and powerful package for a stealthy price if you shop. The LT-1 and earlier small blocks are going to be easier to make them look pretty.

If I were to build one from scratch, I would still opt for the pre-LT1 small block with a modified TPI system on it if I were price conscience.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:05 AM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

I agree that if you were to choose between them, the LS1/6 would be the way to go. The LT series motors are good, but about the same as a reguar chevy style motor as far as performance goes. The LS motors make more hp, and are lighter because of the all aluminum construction. I agree with the lack of ooo aaa with the LS and LT motors, but I saw an intake that allowed you to convert an LS1 to carbeurated, that would be cool and different.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/man_chevy_ls1.html

Adam
Old 03-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The LT1 does have problems with their optispark design. However if you go over to Corvetteforum.com (not trying to cross promote) and do a search, they have an aftermarket solution which seems to cure that problem. The LT1 is a nice engine, the only drawback being more limits on parts, as many aren't interchangable with a 1st gen block. That said, that aftermarket zone for the LT1 alone is huge. Nice power potential out of their intake design. More of a midrange-top end runner design much like that of TPIS Miniram replacement for the TPI.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:41 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies. He can get a 94 LT 1 from a wreck and it has just turned 40,000 miles and looks new. With it comes the old wiring harness, less computer. If he wants to do so, it can drop right in, wire it and fire it. With it comes a newly built 700R4 by a very good builder and a new Painless converter controll kit as well as the weld/bolt in motor mounts for his 57 Chevy. Today, he told me he is buying that motor and tranny as a backup to his search for a LS 6 with 4L80E. He is adding a Ford 9 inch (from a Bronco) that I traded for his low milage 57 Chevy rear. I know, bad deal, but I don't like the 9 inch for my use. I am going to start studying and learning about the LT and LS motors. They and you have tweaked my interest. I keep saying no more projects, buttt......

Trees
Old 03-05-2005, 07:37 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Not to sound corny, but the LS series are kindof an engineering marvel if you start researching them. I really think they might be the best V8 engine ever designed if you take into account everything that is expected of an engine. The main area is similiar to the old hemis and will take about anything you can throw at it which can not be said of the traditional small blocks of any brand. The heads can be flowed to match almost any aftermarket heads. The coil packs are more powerful than any aftermarket ignition system if properly controlled(yes you can msd them with the right controller...hrhmmm....genboard). I hope that the LS1 prices come down a bit so I can tinker on one in a few years. It is definately getting better, and if you dont mind a cast iron block the truck engines are pretty cheap and have all the same goodies.

Can you tell I like the LS ove the LT?

Chris
Old 03-05-2005, 08:03 AM

Last photo:

Being old school, I have to get over the shock of raising the hood on all this new stuff. Lots of wiring and doo-dads that look sort of soft and flakey to me. But the cast aluminum brackets are a big improvement over the old stamped plate steel stuff we grew up with. Coil pacs? Ughh!! But, Kevin, I agree that the LS series is showing the engineering department is busy, probably like it was in the late 40s, early 50s when the Hemi and SBC were being developed. And you are right. It will not be long 'til the prices come down. As little as 8 years ago, the low milage LT 1/LT 4 motors and matching trannys were being introduced to the flea market/swap meets on the back of double and tripple axled trailers for $4500 and up. They have been replaced with the LS series and Northstars at a higher price, but these prices have been steadily dropping as more and more are being produced (and wrecked). Guess I will have to tackle one more project after my old Bronco Half Cab. Finally made the decision to restore it. Took the tub off parts Bronc yesterday and will start on that frame next week. Old hot rodders never give up until they can't raise their tools any more!!!

Trees
Old 03-05-2005, 08:21 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Well of course you have to keep working. I am sure I will do it untill I just cant anymore. At that point I will get a handicap sticker for my hotrod and a wheelchair lift

Chris
Old 05-15-2005, 05:10 PM

I've done a lot of research on the LS1 and I plan on building one and putting it in my 92 Camaro next summer.

This summer I'm sticking to the old Mopar and getting the Camaro ready for next summer.

I've need to get prepping the suspension for it (the thing is T-Tops, I love them but am very worry about the rigidity of a unibody car with T-Tops) with stuff like subframe connectors and aftermarket torsion bars and a torque arm.

I can't wait. I've grown really excited about doing the LS1 swap. I hope your friends turns out nice.

But what is he going to do about smog? Out here I believe that our smog is based on the year of the MOTOR and not the car... He'd have to plumb the car for EGR, OČ, etc...
Old 05-15-2005, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

Are the iron blocks the same as the aluminum, aside from the material? If that's the case I'd take a 366" truck engine just for the strength and extra size. Probably a heap cheaper too.

Larry

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.