Thoughts on this mig welder? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 11:13 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thoughts on this mig welder?

So I've been in the market for a mig welder and I've been trying to make up my mind on what to buy, I ran across the Hobart Handler 210MVP Mig earlier today and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on it? I have 220 in my shop but it's powering my air compressor right now and I don't want to switch back and forth between the two. I could run another 220 later I just don't want to right now which is why I like this design, I can run 110 now and if I do decide to run 220 I don't have to kick myself for only having a 110. I'm also open minded to Lincoln and Miller, I just noticed this is a decent price.

Here is a link to the welder

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 11:24 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

I have a bridged 80 Amp Service in My Shop (2-40's), and I run my Mig, Tig, Heaters and 80 Gallon compressor off of it. I have had no issues (or circiut breaker trips), so it works ok.

As for the Hobart, there have been many reports of happy Customers with them, although the word (if true) is that they are the poorer brother to a Miller-I think in a Home Shop environement they are fine-it should have enough oomph to handle most everything you will need on a Car-I have both a Lincoln Mig (175) and Lincoln Tig (185), and haven't found anything that I can't Weld-

The bigger question to me is:do you have a Hobart Warranty Center close by in case you have a problem or need suppllies?
Old 12-20-2011, 12:03 PM

That's something I hadn't looked into yet but it looks like the local Airgas in Ogden is a certified service center for Hobart, although I didn't notice any on their shelves when I was there the other day. I really won't be using it for much more than car projects, maybe a few other things here and there. I'll have to look into doing a bridged setup; right now my compressor is just running on a 30.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:09 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Wait a minute.......I see now that you are from Utah too (shows how well I pay attention....)-I like Airgas, they sure do price their stuff at or above Retail!), but I used to use the one in Provo, but it is now closed on Saturdays (my day to get stuff)-I also like Humphries-anyway, given your location, you could buy just about anything you want and get it serviced-
Old 12-20-2011, 12:40 PM

They are closed on Saturdays around here too, luckily I have Fridays off every so often so it's not too much of a problem.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: Try again
Last photo:

i think that Hobart would be a very good machine

its similar to my miller 211 with MVP plug
the reason i bought my miller 211, is because it will go both ways (think portable)

I think the Hobart doesnt have the auto-set, like the miller does, but I never use it anyway
so the Hobart is a better deal, your not paying for stuff you dont need

it will need some pretty high amps on 110v, but will work

my 220v air compressor doesnt use that many amps
and i have it wired into the back of my welders outlet
(not to code i'm sure)

but you will only be using one thing at a time (unless you get a plasma cutter)
it only takes a minute for my compressor to fill up and shut off
Old 12-20-2011, 01:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35WINDOW
the word (if true) is that they are the poorer brother to a Miller-

Definitely not true! This myth got started because both Hobart and Miller are owned by the same parent company, ITW, and share some of the same off the shelf parts (some of which can even be found in some other brands) but neither owns the other. Hobart and Miller are separate entities and they are in competition with each other. Just like any other "urban legend" this keeps getting passed around but it is important to debunk this thing because it does a dis-service to both Hobart and the potential customer. Hobart is no one's "second line" and anyone considering buying one need not think he is settling for a second rate machine,similar size Millers are usually more costly because they are aimed at the industrial market while the Hobart is aimed more at the consumer market and thus usually has fewer "bells and whistles", but then they tend to cost less too for that reason. Hobarts are not compromised in quality and are a deserving member of the big three, Lincoln (my preference! ), Miller and Hobart.

As has been mentioned several times in other threads it is kind of interesting that the warranty for both machines is handled by HOBART/ Miller electric rather than the other way around, kind of odd if Miller did indeed own Hobart!
Old 12-20-2011, 02:02 PM

The miller 211 is another welder I have been looking into, I can't decide if the price difference between the two make up for features. I can get the Hobart shipped to my house for about $875 with a cart or I can get the Miller by itself locally for around $100. The cart will not be the deciding factor, I can build a cart if I want one
Old 12-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I own that welder, have had it 11 years, and have had to do nothing other then buy tips and run wire. In my opinion it is as good as you can get for a hobby welder.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:29 PM

Last photo:

Well here's another Utah Hobart owner, I bought the Hobart Handler 187 during the summer from Tractor Supply, they had them on a close out sale for $549....hell of a good deal to for a QUALITY 220 v. mig. I have welded up several projects with absolutely no problems. It has plenty of suds for up to 3/8 plate, may have to make a double pass now and then but no big deal.

I just made a set of "Ski's" for my snow blower to keep the auger from picking up rocks out of my driveway, not the best welding conditions in the garage....SUPER cold and breezy with the doors open but it came out ok. Might have to call "35Window" to get me some "factory" orange paint since he's a dealer for Ariens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1933.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	781.2 KB
ID:	60928   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2083.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	717.6 KB
ID:	60929   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2086.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	683.2 KB
ID:	60930  
Old 12-20-2011, 10:17 PM

Last photo:

You can't go wrong with a Hobart or Miller. One thing I would point out is, when using the Handler 210 MVP or the Miller 210 MVP on 110 volts you don't have a 210 amp welder, you only get 140 amps on 110 volts. It's basically like having a Handler 140 and a Handler 210 in one unit. I have a Handler 120 that I've had for quite a while, I'll never get rid of it. I also have a Millermatic 210. If Hobart and Miller had brought out their 210 amp portable units before I bought the Millermatic 210 I would have bought one of them instead.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:33 AM

Oops I meant $1000 locally for the miller. Anyway, I'm leaning towards the Hobart due to the positive reviews I'm hearing and the price difference, which will give me a little extra money to buy a 125cf cylinder which I still need to figure out where to buy one of those locally, I think Airgas has them but I don't know their pricing yet.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:11 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: Try again
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by K72Nova
Oops I meant $1000 locally for the miller. Anyway, I'm leaning towards the Hobart due to the positive reviews I'm hearing and the price difference, which will give me a little extra money to buy a 125cf cylinder which I still need to figure out where to buy one of those locally, I think Airgas has them but I don't know their pricing yet.
airgas is who I use
Old 12-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I will add that with my little unit I can single-pass-weld 1/4" plate and it "bites" pretty deep even at that. I use 220vac.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:30 AM

Man now the guy at my local US Weld told me about a Lincoln powermig 180 duel. He told me they have it for $929 with either a $100 rebate or a $250 welding package that comes with welding jacket, gloves, auto dark helmet, and a few other goodies. Hate to get the ball rolling again but does anyone know anything about the Lincoln?

Tags
hobart, mig welder

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.