Thoughts and Prayers for 35 Terraplane - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 02:42 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Way to go Bob-a-looooo !

Been a little over 2 weeks since Karen did an update on the O.O.F. (rhymes with smart) and the latest is really good news!

Karen writes:
My responsibility for today was to bring my car so we could practice wheelchair to car transfers. Well, we only had to practice one time and Bob nailed it... well, almost. He did need just a bit of help getting one foot up and into the vehicle. Then, he walked down and back - from his room to the sitting room, only sitting down to rest once. Each way is about 1/2 the length of a football field. Yea!

Projections are a possible release to home next Friday, March 8 or the following Friday, March 15.

The one disturbing thing is that he was "huffing & puffing" today and he has gained weight which is a bad sign that he may be building up fluid again. BUT - we figure part of the problem is the "fast food" I have been bringing him- all of it is SO high in sodium. It's affecting both of us... even my ankles are a bit swollen. Dr. Kuhlmann ordered a chest x-ray and blood work to check his kidney functions after our meeting with him last Thursday. We haven't heard the results yet. If the fluid is building up again, the first course of action is to adjust the diuretics, then if that doesn't work, Dr. K will contact the U of M to see if we need to go there for a couple of days of dialysis. This may be our life going forward - a trip to the U for dialysis every two months or so.

I am praying hard that Bob gets his "hip flexion" stronger by next week so he can come home. Misty, Shadow and I miss him... and I'm getting really sick of driving 2 hours back/forth 4 times a week!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 04:53 AM

Last photo:

The Terraplane has Landed !

Bob is home once more and here's the latest from Karen.

We are home! PTL! The TCU cut Bob loose about 2:00 today – and we went from the care center to the local Heartland Café for lunch – and then HOME! The dogs (especially Misty) were so glad to see him… and I am so glad to have him home. Then an hour and a half later we left to meet fellow streetroders at Underdogs in Jenkins (good food!) – had a great time with friends. Bob made it, but he’s still got a long recovery and restoration – balance is an issue – as is endurance.

He came home without the need for oxygen during the day. He still must use it with his BiPAP at night - his sleep apnea is that bad. And, whenever the fluid begins to build up, as it has started to do, if it presses on the lungs, he gets short of breath and has to go back on oxygen while the doctors adjust his diuretics to try and get the fluid off... or stop the build up.

We know that Bob will probably have to do dialysis about every 2-3 months for a couple of sessions to get rid of the excess fluid that his transplanted kidney can't handle, but that is a lot smarter than letting 90+ pounds of fluid fill up his extremities and his heart/lungs. We do not want to let this last 9 months happen again - ever. Each dialysis is hard on his kidney - as well as the rest of his body - but especially his kidney... and I pray the dialysis doesn't cause it to fail completely. We just have to be careful and not exacerbate the situation by too much salt.

Bob will need to continue physical therapy. He can get in and out of the car easier than he did two months ago when this last episode started, but his balance is very shakey. The physical therapists at the care center felt he could be independent, but it will be hard for me to go to work and wonder if he has fallen again. I have left a message for his doctor to see if he is planning to order any physical therapy - either in home or at a facility.

Bob's spirits are good - he has big plans that will require that he is stronger: Back to the 50's car show at the State Fairgrounds for 3 days in June and a week-long fishing trip to Canada with friends (and without me) in September. Here's to a speedy and full recovery!

Thanks for continuing to encourage Bob!
Blessings, Karen
Old 04-09-2013, 01:37 PM

Last photo:

Back in the Hospital again !

Here's the latest update from Bob's Wife, Karen. Thoughts and prayers for both of them.

Just a quick update as I have to get some sleep and have a wake up call set for less than 7 hours from now. Bob is back in the hospital to have fluid removed - a process called aquapheresis. (Aquapheresis is a New Method of Reducing Excess Water Weight - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com)

Bob had an echocardiogram on Thursday and met with the cardiologist, Dr. Stokman. The right side of his heart is worse than before (last echo, it was better) - and he could hear fluid around Bob's lungs and heart... CHF (congestive heart failure) again. He said the pulmonary pressure in his lungs is high - at a severe level. We told him we had an appointment with Dr. Ibrahim, nephrologist, on Monday, so he sent the report to the UMMC Nephrology group.

We suspected that dialysis would be needed again. Dr. Ibrahim had told us last summer that we may have to come to UMMC for 2-3 days of dialysis every 2-3 months in order to give some relief to Bob's transplanted kidney... so we packed last night with the assumption that Dr. Ibrahim would put Bob in the hospital to do dialysis. The appointment lasted about 10 minutes - he looked at Bob, listened to his lungs and agreed with us that 2-3 days of dialysis is the proper course of action. But, they are not going to do the typical dialysis that removes fluid and toxins... unless the blood work says toxins are present. They believe the kidney is doing well to remove the toxins - just not the fluids. They are going to do aquapheresis - removes only the excess fluid. They've done blood work, EKG, x-ray - and are scheduling another echocardiogram. Hopefully after this is done over 2-3 days, Bob will feel less winded and be able to go home off oxygen. He had not needed it the last three weeks in the care center, but he had already started putting on fluid. When he left the U, January 24, he weighed 218. Today he weighed 266 - that's a lot of fluid build up in two months. He's on a fluid/salt restriction while he is in the hospital (and should be at home!) and they are measuring his fluid intake and output this time... so see if the diuretics are working at all to help the kidney.

Bob doesn't feel bad - just having trouble breathing due to the fluid pressing on his heart and lungs. Hopefully he will be stronger this time when he leaves as this is the only issue. This may become our new normal - a maintenance process to keep the fluid from building up to a critical level again.

I am grateful to the Commons Hotel in Minneapolis for offering discounts to patients and family who need a place to stay. It was easy to register as they had my information from January. My room is great - as usual... and I can't wait to hit the bed, which is where I am headed. Thanks too to Dave & Laura Bjorklund who are taking care of Misty & Shadow tonight and tomorrow morning. I will go home (for my job) and come back to pick up Bob... in the snow that is forecast! Prayers for successful aquapheresis and safe travels would be appreciated. Love to one and all...

Karen
Old 04-09-2013, 01:55 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Thoughts and prayers your way every chance I get, Bob and Karen. God be with you.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:21 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: Take a kid to a car show
Last photo:

Sorry to hear about Terraplane I wish him the best

Jester
Old 04-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Yes back to work with more prayers.

Brian
Old 04-09-2013, 08:34 PM

Last photo:

You and Bob will be in my thoughts and prayers. Safe travels.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,299 Times in 1,057 Posts
Ditto from Chattanooga. Prayers will be offered.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:27 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Bob will be in my thoughts and heart until he's well again.

Mike Osher (BB)
Old 04-09-2013, 09:33 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

As I noted in a separate post yesterday, Bob seems to be in the care of the hospital, while Karen has to commute in a snowstorm.

We wish them BOTH well in this trying time

Sent PM to Bob's own e-mail addy as well
Old 04-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Prayers are going out for you Mr.Bob..Hang in there...
Old 04-11-2013, 05:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Bob, I say a prayer for you EVERYDAY, be strong. Mrs. Bob also.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:05 AM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

I hope you are feeling better Bob.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:17 PM

Last photo:

I just got off the phone with Bob and he is back to his "dry" weight, Praise the Lord. He thinks the reason his fluid retention got so bad so quick was the previous Doctor at the Hospital he was in hadn't put two of his meds in the computer - - - could have been fatal - - WOW

Anyhow, Karen had just gotten there to check him out and take him home and he's in good spirits and 100% better than when he got there. Of course he's always in good spirits and I always feel good after talking to him.

He'll probably drop by and post before too long.

Em
Old 04-13-2013, 01:21 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Good to hear he is getting back to himself!

Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.