Threads and Needles - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 07:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Threads and Needles

My wife recently tried sewing (machine embroidering a design) some fabric that we bought to use on trying our own custom interior on my car.

She said that the thread is ripping through the material. She's using a "leather needle" and has nylon embroidery thread and used backing.

The printing on the back of the material says "Spradling" and also "proquinal". It looks like nice stuff to us, but we're no experts.

Now she's afraid to try to sew the door panels due to fear of the thread cutting through the material.

Should she be using a special needle or a different thread?

Steve

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2008, 07:52 PM

Last journal entry: T'Bird projectr
Last photo:

Steve,

Is the stuff you're using leather or vinyl, or is it woven fabric? Leather and vinyl needles are "cutting", and will cut woven fabric making a mess, particularly if you're doing close embroidery style stiches. Fabric needles are blunt compared to the leather ones so they don't cut the weave, so you may indeed have the wrong type of needles.

I'm not a pro, but I do all my own trimming, have made several convertible tops, boots, and complete interiors. Keep after it, trimming is rewarding work, clean, and has a huge impact on the finished project.

Brian
Old 06-20-2008, 07:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Spradling is a brand name of vinyl. Proquinal is the name of the mill in Columbia that manufactured the vinyl for Spradling.

The biggest mistake people make trying to sew vinyl is sewing with too many stitches per inch. Vinyl, leather, and Ultraleather (100% polyurethane) Should be sewn with 5 to 6 stitches per inch. If you're sewing the vinyl to 1/2" foam, this may be too thick for your machine if it's not an industrial machine, or your wife needs to adjust the machine for the extra thickness. Another problem could be using thread that is too small. If you're not using at least size 69 thread, that might be the problem. I use size 92 polyester for basic sewing, and size 138 polyester for top stitching and designs. Nylon thread, size for size, is slightly stronger than polyester, but polyester holds up better to UV rays. I sew with regular needles ( normally size 22) not the wedge shaped leather needles. Leather will close up around the cut a leather needle makes, but vinyl will not and the hole the needle makes will be too large. These are pics of two motorcycle seats out of Ultraleather sewed completely with size 138 polyester thread using a size 22 needle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0464-1.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	30738   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0466-1.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	30739  

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 06-20-2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:09 PM

Last photo:

You are a god DanTwoLakes, everytime you post i learn something.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:30 PM

Last photo:

Awesome!

Great info guys! Yeah I was almost afraid of asking something so elementary, but couldn't find the info in a search, and knew you guys were extremely helpful.

She has a Husqvarna Rose computer embroidery machine, but she also has an old Kenmore workhorse that's about 25-30 years old that we bought new and just keeps on going.

We were hoping to embroider some custom designs in to the leather with the Rose, but now I think she's afraid to try again. Maybe if we get these needles and sizes of thread things will go better for her, and maybe we just need to use the Kenmore?

Thanks again for awesome info guys!

Steve
Old 06-21-2008, 07:01 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Use the Kenmore for all the rest of your sewing, and find somebody that can do the embroidery for you. There will be things that are hard to sew with a home machine, but if you keep it simple it will work.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:54 PM

I am assuming that the fabric is in a hoop for the sewing machine. Machine embroidery designs for home machine use have a high stitch count. It is common for these designs to have a thousand stitches in an area the size of a quarter. An outline style design 146 mm X 210 mm could have 9000 stitches where as a fully colored design of the same size might have 26000 stitches. This greatly exceeds the 5 to 6 stitches per inch that Dan mentioned. Find a design with a low stitch count. She might try backing the leather with some fabric such as muslin which might help in preventing the leather from cutting. Stabilizer probably is not needed unless she is using self adhesive stabilizer to help hoop the leather. A little fabric spray glue will hold the muslin in place. Your home embroidery machine will not take the needle or thread sizes that Dan mentioned. I use Topstitch #80 needle for metallic thread. It had a narrower shank but has a longer thread slot so the thread slips through the needle easier. All other thread I use a #80 Sharp when embroidering. Hope that this helped both of you.
Ken
Old 06-21-2008, 07:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUREAUDIO
You are a god DanTwoLakes, everytime you post i learn something.

Trust me,I have learned alot from reading his reply's to other people,and I have been around upholstery most of my of life. Alot of knowledge on here,that's for sure.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I don't know very much about embroidery machines, but I do know a lot about fabric. If they were trying to embroider on regular fabric, they might be able to do it with a home machine.

Vinyl, leather, or Ultraleather are different animals. One thing I have learned over the years is that there is no substitute for the right tools for the job.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.