Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Three different paint shops suggested 2 different ways of painting the car, opinions?
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007, 12:11 PM

Last journal entry: First RoadCourse Video
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Three different paint shops suggested 2 different ways of painting the car, opinions?

I have been talking to two (actually three) different paint shops about painting the mustang.

My first thought was to have them spray the engine bay and the rest of the car in sealer, primer and highbuild.
Take the car back and install the engine, running gear etc.
Block sand the car. (I save the labour in block sanding myself)
Trailer the car back to the painter and have the rest of the car sprayed.

My thought process, is that there is less risk of body damage, and scratching to the paint, if most of the mechanical work is already done.

The higher price shop is okay with this, but I get the impression that they would like to spray the whole car at one time.

The mid price shop suggested that this is the right method to do it. They also went on to say, that if I am not building a show car, I should also do the door jambs, and other areas of the car, such as fender returns, underside of hood and trunk etc.
There will be a line when the car is painted, but there is less risk of body/paint damage if the car is all assembled when it is finally painted.
They also suggested that primers can tend to flow even after they are sprayed, so the longer the primer sits on the car before I block it, the better, and the straighter it will look.

The lower price shop has suggested that the car be all painted at one time, setting the fenders and doors on racks, and that it is not that big a deal to reassemble the car.

The first two shops, I have seen their work, and it is in line with their prices. The third and cheapest shop, I have not seen their work. They were recommended by another car restorer, and have a reputation for painting show cars. I think they are likely all capable painters.

This car will be more of a weekend cruiser and might possibly go into car shows, a couple times per year. Defintely not a pure show car.