Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Three different paint shops suggested 2 different ways of painting the car, opinions?
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 02:05 PM

Last journal entry: First RoadCourse Video
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks Brian
I appreciate the advise and have learned a lot from this forum. I am, at this time, leaning 60/40 to jambing the car, after my visit to the shop who wanted to paint it apart;

I have just finished visiting the #3 body shop to take a look at their work, talk things over.

I am glad I did. They were the cheapest shop (on the phone) but seemed to know what they were talking about.

The first thing that struck me was how the price changed from a fixed reasonable price, to a by the hour only price, anyway the price more than doubled, with an open end to protect their bottom line. I understand entirely, and this is fine, but he should have said this up front.

Then I asked to see a couple of cars. The first was a chevy pro street car, which can best be described as a slightly better than ordinary paint job, with really bad fitting front fenders.

The next was a 66 'stang convertible painted black. The paint looked really pretty nice at eye level, then as I looked lower, it did not look like the body work / blocking was acceptable for a black car.

It was a little disappointing, but at least I didnít have my car lined up to go there.

I donít have a paint booth or access to one, but it makes me wish I could paint the car myself. Alas I could buy all the right equipment, and I have the skills to make a properly ventilated clean room, but I donít think I have the skills to paint the car properly.