Three perfect cranks and snap/ help!!?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012, 09:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Three perfect cranks and snap/ help!!??

Hey guys,
I havent had this car long. 1971 chevelle 406sbc w 11.5 to 1 compression. The cast iron starter started grinding and i assume it was the original w this car. So...I replaced it with a high torque gear reduction min..First one was chrome..i didnt know better and after about 15 cranks grinded/ retightened lasted a few more cranks and grinded again. I took it back to Doug herbert performance , replaced it with non chrome...much tighter bolt fittings and it lasted 5 days ..made some noise grinding etc..So i had the flexplate checked...no teeth missing or chipped and bendix on starter just wouldnt disengage. Put in a brand new b@m flexplate just in case and a new starter for a fresh start. Now ive had this starter for like 4 cranks of the motor and grinding. I bump started it again and started right up! ?? Any way I got underneath to check gnurled starter bolts and they're tight. Its shimmed .060 and its wired right etc...BUT THE STARTER IS CRACKED DOWN THE CENTER! not the cone...I cant figure this out!! for the life of me! Here are some facts to go with... Its a built @ 485hp small block, it has new flexplate with no bracket to bolt to motor.. its staggered 168t wheel and starter. The starter is cast and not aluminum and i thought it was quality as im new and went to a performance store in the heart of nascar nc...Turns out although i paid 189.00 for it its sold elsewhere for 69.00 either way any venture of a good guess of an idea what might be wrong is what i am begging for!! Thanks. Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 10:33 PM

first of all stop buying stater,s all you need to do is shim the starter out with the shim,s that should have been with the new starter,, start there let me know how it turn,s out,,
Old 08-26-2012, 04:47 AM

Last photo:

X2 with Mikey
Old 09-02-2012, 12:51 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebutt View Post
Hey guys,
I havent had this car long. 1971 chevelle 406sbc w 11.5 to 1 compression. The cast iron starter started grinding and i assume it was the original w this car. So...I replaced it with a high torque gear reduction min..First one was chrome..i didnt know better and after about 15 cranks grinded/ retightened lasted a few more cranks and grinded again. I took it back to Doug herbert performance , replaced it with non chrome...much tighter bolt fittings and it lasted 5 days ..made some noise grinding etc..So i had the flexplate checked...no teeth missing or chipped and bendix on starter just wouldnt disengage. Put in a brand new b@m flexplate just in case and a new starter for a fresh start. Now ive had this starter for like 4 cranks of the motor and grinding. I bump started it again and started right up! ?? Any way I got underneath to check gnurled starter bolts and they're tight. Its shimmed .060 and its wired right etc...BUT THE STARTER IS CRACKED DOWN THE CENTER! not the cone...I cant figure this out!! for the life of me! Here are some facts to go with... Its a built @ 485hp small block, it has new flexplate with no bracket to bolt to motor.. its staggered 168t wheel and starter. The starter is cast and not aluminum and i thought it was quality as im new and went to a performance store in the heart of nascar nc...Turns out although i paid 189.00 for it its sold elsewhere for 69.00 either way any venture of a good guess of an idea what might be wrong is what i am begging for!! Thanks. Mike
You got any pictures of the starter, post them if you do. Is the crack in the mounting block or the starter housing?

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.