Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - thrilling moment...
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2006, 10:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

thrilling moment...

I started my first engine rebuild on its 20 minute break-in period. It started right up and that was a wonderful feeling. Anyway, I kept the engine above 2200 rpms, according to the cam card, and the 20 minute breakin is separated into 2 parts. As I finished the first session the radiator looked like it wanted to boil over. I had the cap off, filled with plain water, and no thermostat installed. The temp slowly climbed to about 210 degrees at the end of the first 10 min. session. I had advanced the timing to 38, Which was recomended to me by a bud. I must say that I had forgotten to install the vacuum hose from the carb to the distributor. Once I turned the engine off, the radiator did shoot water up and out of the radiator. It just seemed that the engine was on the way to getting too hot. I did not have enough time to finish the 2nd half of the break-in...besides, its supposed to cool down first before the 2nd half. Thats for the morning after a parts store run for the vacuum hose.

Here were the conditions:
It did get warm here today here in Tenn. and I was in a garage with not a lot of airflowing thru. I had switched on the electric fan the entire time. I do have a stock water pump. I have approximately 11:1 compression. I hope this provides enough info, now, my question: Am I right to assume it was running too hot, or well on the way to running too hot? How hot should I let it get before shutting it down? Is my stock water pump enough for this engine? Do you think my water pump might be out? I thank you in advance for any and all suggestions.

jmbjs

1972 Chevy Vega coupe:
Holley 600cfm carb, Holley street dominator intake
Brodix Ik 200 aluminum heads (.055 copper gaskets, appr. 11:1 comp.)
Howards cam (.410/410 lift, 288/288 duration) 1.6 roller rockers
HEI Petronix Flame-thrower 50,000v upgrade kit
8mm accel wires
350 bored .030 over, with flat-tops
3.562 offset grind crank
Moroso windage tray
Hooker headers
T-350 with shift kit/3200 ACC stall convertor
4:56 running gear, 26x8.5 slicks
Griffin radiator w/flex-lite Electric fan