Hot Rod Forum banner

Throttle Bores Jagged

620 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  cobalt327 
#1 ·
Hey you Guys,
I've got a 750cfm vac. sec. Holley carb that looks like the manifold side of the throttle bores were not de-burred. Should I de-burr them, or leave em alone? Is this poor workmanship, or is it better to have a sharp edge for fuel atomization?
Thanks
ssmonty

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Leave`em. a rough finish helps the mixture. This is why the tops of the butterflies have the X pattern on them. On my Q-jets I always rough up the back 2 butterflies with sand paper. Knowing Holley, it`s likely just lazy, this is why I don`t like Holley as in my past experiences there quality control is less than outstanding.

#3 ·
It looks to me like a finishing step was deleted. Would make me wonder what I will find on the body-side of the throttle plate.

IMHO, I would at least gently deburr the bores and any other areas with that rough of a finish, check the entire thing for any casting flash/debris, and hope they didn't miss any other manufacturing steps.

If this isn't a new carb, the plate may have been re machined flat, and not deburred.

If it's new- it would be going straight back to where it came from and replaced w/a correctly machined one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.