Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Throttle cable problems
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 06:22 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Throttle cable problems

I am in a learning by doing conundrum on a long (seven years I think) 51 chevy pickup (3100) project.
I can't get my throttle to feel like anything other than course sandpaper being dragged across a glass rod - how do I get that to stop?

I have a quadrajet on top of a Pontiac 350

sitting in the driver's seat the cable bracket is about 6 inches to the right of where the cable exits the firewall and and the bracket (where the cable clips to the bracket) is not quite 6 and a half inches from the firewall itself.

My first attempt at running a cable made a rather tight bend and while it worked both ways it felt not good. What you see in the pics is my second effort where I left a 2' cable intact and tried a couple gentle routes and it wasn't really better.

I tried a 2' throttle cable from CSR Performance (think boats) but my radius was too tight for it so...

What the heck am I doing wrong? I'll do anything if it'll get me close to smooth I don't even expect silky at this point
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fromfirewall.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	66819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Csquared.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	66820   Click image for larger version

Name:	passengersideofpedal.jpg
Views:	36