Hot Rod Forum banner

Throttle Problem

826 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  jimfulco 
#1 ·
I have a 72 nova with a 350 and 350 trans I just had the car out for a little run. I took off down the highway wit my foot almost to the floor to about 85mph as I started to slow down to about 30 mph I notice the engine with still at a high rpm and it felt like it wanted to keep going. I practically was standing on the brakes at the light so she wouldnt go. After feathering the pedal down the road it finally got back to normal. what could of been the problem? thanx

#6 ·
Doesn't a 72 Nova have a throttle cable and not a linkage? If that is the case, make sure the cable is not frayed, then clean the plastic cable guide and cover, (if it has one), and lube it with some light oil or cable lube. Make sure the bracket that the cable housing goes through is not bent.

Later, mikey

#7 ·
powerrodsmike said:
Doesn't a 72 Nova have a throttle cable and not a linkage? If that is the case, make sure the cable is not frayed, then clean the plastic cable guide and cover, (if it has one), and lube it with some light oil or cable lube. Make sure the bracket that the cable housing goes through is not bent.

Later, mikey

'72 came with a cable, so do what Mikey said. And make sure you have 2 return springs. Federal law required 2, in case one broke or weakened somehow. Mine (4-bbl) had one inside the other, to the rear of the bottom side of the throttle lever on the carb. Your primary throttle shaft bore will last longer if you run them forward off the top side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.