Throttle return spring bracket for holley carb question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 06:30 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Throttle return spring bracket for holley carb question

Hello guys I was reading on why its not a good idea to have your throttle return springs pulling on your carburetor linkage from the rear of the carb cause it can cause quick throttle shaft wear and make an oval shape into the throttle bore. So many have suggested having the throttle springs pull from the front. I saw this bracket at the auto parts store the other day

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-4708/

And my question it says on the back of the box you can mount it in the front on the intake or the rear for you return springs. My question is where would it go so I can hook a return spring on the front of the carb so it will pull straight forward at whatever angle and not pull down towards the side or anything?

I am not wanting to buy one of those billet return spring bracket setups they make I just want something simple.

Or would that just cause throttle shaft wear in a different area? Just wondering hear as I don't want to have to replace the base plate in a few years and get too much wear on it.
thanks
Eric

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2010, 06:44 AM

Last photo:

It might go on the front drivers side intake bolt. I used to have a bracket there with a two springs (one inside the other) and worked there for 15 years at least. I moved it when I got the same throttle bracket as you but apparently made the mistake of mouhting my spring on the rear. I'll be correcting mine as well but I'm going to use , or make, a hole in the front of the bracket closer to the carb so there's less spring stretch.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:01 AM
More for Less Racer

Thats pretty much the style bracket I usually use, ...but I make my own out of 1/8" flat stock so I can make it the correct height to allow for intake height, carb spacers, etc and get a relatively straight pull. I drill all the cool looking "lightening" holes in it, and mount to the second intake bolt from the front, the one between the water crossover and the first intake runner.

Not hard if you have a drill or drill press, the scrap steel, a metal brake or good vice, and some time...it just won't be chromed...which doesn't bother me one bit.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:07 AM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Save a buck or two:

http://www.tdperformance.com/product...set=7422&rsku=

Or do like I did and use the U shaped bracket that bolts to the shift linkage output shaft of an automatic trans, not nearly as fancy but functional and essentially free, just clean one up and give it some paint. Bolt either down with the front manifold bolt on your intake as bubba suggests.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:31 AM

Last photo:

Well guys I spent $5 bucks and got the chrome bracket and your right it goes where my second intake bolt from the front goes. It looks like it will work out really nice but I do have another question. I currently have a one inch 3/8 -16 x1 bolt already there and have a lock washer along with it and by putting the bracket on should I go to a 1 1/4 length instead so it will still hold down good or will the one inch bolt still be enough? Just a little worried here as its right at the water jacket port and I also know your not supposed to use to long of a intake bolt or they can hit your push rods. Thanks guys for help appreciated.
Eric
Old 10-07-2010, 12:07 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Another alternative is one spring in front and one in back like I have.
Equal pressure on both sides and, it's always a good idea to run dual springs just in case one breaks. It's no fun doing over 100 mph and let off the gas and it keeps on going! Ask me how I know.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

How do you know ?
Old 10-07-2010, 05:47 PM

Last photo:

Well guys I just went ahead and used the 1 1/4 inch bolt and no problems. All is hooked up now and it does not nicer then with it pulling from the rear.
Thanks
Eric
Old 10-07-2010, 06:31 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc
How do you know ?
Back in the early 70's I got in a speed contest with a friend in a 71 roadrunner. At 135 mph the cheap exhaust dump's I engineered blew the caps off and My Javelin continued to speed up. As the speedo climbed passed 140, I decided that was enough and lifted only to find the pedal stuck to the floor! My speedo only registered 140 but was 10 mph beyond that.
If not for the areodynamics of the Javelin, I would probably have lost it at that speed. I had my wife at the time who was with me reach over the console and pull the pedal up. Both of us at the time were going ***!
That was one scary moment and I never did it again.
After that dual springs were definatly used on everything I built. Seen an asphalt racer with a stuck throttle slam the wall on a turn once and never forgot that. He lived but the car was destroyed.

Eric32, put another light spring on the front! (just in case).

Last edited by sqzbox; 10-07-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:44 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

"I had my wife at the time who was with me reach over the console and pull the pedal up."

Now that must have looked hilarious, going full tilt and she´s lying over the console.
Glad it had a happy ending.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:38 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Think that's funny, you should have seen my friends face when I passed him up!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.