Hot Rod Forum banner

throttle return spring tension

26K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  johnsongrass1 
#1 ·
Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive engine part
is the tension good on my carburetor? or do i need a longer spring?

See less See more
#5 ·
I like two springs.....They do break once in a while and it's not very fun when they do, Especially with out a toe kick. Two springs, either like the GM one above or two different springs gives you a progressive feel. I like a pretty aggressive rate progression to WOT.

#6 ·
. Yes, double springs for safety... you can adjust the tension to your liking by changing the distance where the other end mounts at...

. Mount the spring in line with the throttle linkage to avoid pressure on the arm's pivot bearing to avoid wearing out the bearing surface in the carburetor... keep the carb. shaft oiled... all the carb. linkages oiled at pivots...

#7 ·
I use only one spring but in the event something would happen all I have to do is just flip my toggle switch and the power is cut off. I have my spring pulling from the front of the carb along with a bushing that I hook up my spring to on my holley throttle arm. Mine pedal feel is very light. I have read many different things that if the spring is either too tight or pulling from the rear it can wear out the throttle shafts very quickly. Two springs seems the good way to go but the ones like posted above have been really to tight for my liking

#9 ·
I use only one spring but in the event something would happen all I have to do is just flip my toggle switch and the power is cut off.
The loss of power steering and power brakes complicate this solution greatly. Turning off the key is an even worse idea because of the steering lock mechanism although this may not apply to every car. Human reaction time is pretty slow in comparison to the how fast the "event" often takes place.

#10 ·
Just my opinion:

You're nuts if you don't use two springs, each easily capable of pulling the throttle back by itself. Our local strip won't let you on it w/o one, and they're pretty lenient generally. If you don't want the wear at the shaft, just have it align with the linkage as is being said here.

I had one break once, at 19 y.o. in a beater Camaro w/ a single spring only, the time it took for me to come out of whatever daydream I was in, realize what was going on and reach down for the key could have been precious in another situation. You need to remember, when it goes it's going to be under the most stress it normally gets, i.e. with the throttle wide open. That car did not have a locking column but another car did, when I for reasons I forget had to have the motor shut off and I inadvertently went one click too far back. Again, in the amount of time it took me to figure it out and fumble my way back, some very bad things could have happened. There's just no good reason to tempt fate like that.

#12 ·
I recently installed a Street Demon carb and put the same throttle return spring on it that I had on a QJet. Even with very little tension on the spring at idle, the throttle is now very stiff. I really believe the springs on the primary and secondary throttle shafts are more than enough to shut the throttle. I have left the return spring on the throttle linkage but it is much stiffer than I like.

John

#14 ·
Johnsongrass1 I just want to thank you as I never really thought of that since I have never had one break on me. I have a pretty big spring but light on tension and I got some small ones laying around and now that I have that in mind I am going to put in a second spring just to be safe. Some times we miss the simple things. Much appreciated

#16 ·
I made the spring anchor in about 15 minutes. It attached the intake bolt. IT has various holes for spring tension.

The other end of the spring has a swiveling/rotating attachment plate thingy that's captured by the bushing. I like a lot of pedal travel and this get me there without twisting the springs.

eric32...I'm just really happy to have something useful to say. Your Welcome. :thumbup:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.