throw out bearing shot - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2006, 09:07 AM
tryn to learn

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

throw out bearing shot

my throw out bearing is starting to go, it will sometimes make a harsh screeching sound when the clutch is engaged, what will happen if i continue driving like that? like not forever but until i can get time to pull the transmission out and change it.

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2006, 09:24 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

If it hasn't already happened, usually it will take out the
Pressure Plate fingers and Clutch Fork (sometimes it will damage the Transmission Input casting-this is on earlier designs)-

What year and make are we talking about here?
Old 02-09-2006, 09:26 AM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

88 firebird, 2.8L with 5 spd. i replaced it no more then 3,000 miles ago, did a complete clutch job.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If it only lasted 3000 miles then you did not have your free travel adjusted right, either that or you ride the clutch.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:25 AM

Last photo:

Don't keep driving it. If it goes out on you it may cause further damage. When the one went out on my blazer it took out the clutch fork and cost me $60. I had also previously replaced the clutch and throwout bearing before it wiped out again. The throwout bearing I was sold was a new type made out of some kind of plastic or fiber that later came apart. It was a POS. When I brought everything back to Advanced Auto I got a new clutch with a full metal throwout bearing. No more problems!
Old 02-09-2006, 11:39 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I believe that throwout bearings fail for two reason, first ridding the clutch and second the adjustment is incorrect. If this is accruing I would consider checking your driving habits and or the adjustment. The bearing should not be engaged when the clutch is out , no pressure on the peddle, the throwout bearing more then likely should last at the very least last as long as the clutch and pressure plate. (this could be a third reason)................
Old 02-09-2006, 09:13 PM

Last photo:

Theres another reason for failure...wear! Some things just wear out. My Blazer was a 1994 model. The reason I mentioned the so called new and improved throwout bearing is because I do not think it is a good product, from my own experience. Why Montea's bearing failed after 3000 miles may be for the reasons mentioned before or maybe just a faulty product. Keep us informed Montea. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2006, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

My son works in a shop and does a large amount of clutches. He now absolutely refuses to put in non-oem parts. He just did our neighbors complete clutch at the shop, 5.0 mustang. T/O bearing lasted 1 month! He checked and it was from some outsourced supplier. He told his boss "no more" since his boss won't pay him for warrantee work.

Anyways, all the above reasons from the other posts along with crappy "way west of LA" parts.

Mark
Old 02-10-2006, 07:09 AM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

Thank you for all the replys

my adjustment is set right because its a hydraulic clutch and automatically adjusts itself, and another reason i know its not putting pressure on the bearing while pedal is because when there is 0 pressure on the pedal i get a light squeaking noise, supposed to be the clutch fork pivot ball area that i forgot to grease i was told.

as for riding the clutch, i admit i will ride it a bit longer then i probably should in 1st gear and at lights i don't pop it into neutral and let the clutch out, but still even my original bearing with 130,000 miles was still working fine. although it felt pretty ruff when i pulled it out, the new one felt Very smooth and is sealed up.

im going to go get a new bearing this morning, i would get a OEM one but im sure they will have to order it in and takes such a long time. this weekend we supposed to hit +18 degrees Celsius(64 Fahrenheit) up here in Canada so i want to get it done while its nice and before i grenade my whole clutch.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:34 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

Well got the throw out bearing job done this weekend, didnt take to long, had a friend help so i didnt kill myself with the tranny.

today before i swaped it out i was driving around quite a bit and never heard the bearing once, took for a good drive after the bearing replace and seems to be all good, but i guess i will see in the next few days. i hope it was the bearing.

After pulling out the old bearing it seemed very smooth still but maybe a bit loose.

Now to make this one last, what is the proper way of driving with the clutch? i realize slipping it should really only be 1st gear to take off, and at a light should i be popping it into neutral and letting go of the clutch? i dont know 1 person that does this but my friend that is a HET says its best to do.

Thank you

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.