Hot Rod Forum banner

Throw together 350 TBI

760 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  DoubleVision 
#1 ·
Me and my best friend got to talking and decided I should drop a 350 in my truck, pull the built 4.3 out and place it in the S15 Jimmy 4x4, that I`d come out much cheaper taking this route since I already have just about all the pieces needed. My question is, I`ll be using older style 12 bolt pattern heads and not the swirly ports. Compression is 9:1, cam is OEM roller, .204 duration .500 lift. Will be adding small tube headers to the mix. Also will be using a aftermarket intake with a TBI adapter from a Holley pro jection unit. My question is, can I use a open plane intake? I have a older Edelbrock streetmaster intake that has a RPM band of idle to 4500 RPM.
I`ll be using the TBI already on the truck that`s been ported, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, TBI spacer, plus Venom Injectors. I have 2 other intakes, one a action plus and one a stealth, I know I could use these just as easy, but I wanted to use the streetmaster as I don`t have anything to use it on in future builds so I wanted to use it now if I could. Any helps greatly appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That intake should work very well for you. I ran the same intake on a 350 and the performance from idle to 3500 was the same as, or maybe even a little better than the stock intake. From 3500 to 5000 you could feel the improvement in the seat of your pants.

Another benefit of the small single plane is that it will make your restrictive throttle body seem bigger. Each cylinder will pull off both sides instead of just one like it would on a dual plane style intake. Dan

#4 ·
Thanks Dan, I had the same thoughts when I studied my Edelbrock performer TBI for a 4.3, I noticed the upper plenum had been milled down at the factory enabling it to pull from both sides so I thought it couldn`t hurt to use a low RPM open plane intake. I am thinking I`ll have to lower the fuel pressure and do some other retuning. Thanks again for the confirmation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.