Hot Rod Forum banner

throwing fan belts

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  302 Z28 
#1 ·
I have a high output 383 that pulls all the way to 6200rpm, that is when the fan belt doesn't pop off !!!

The thing is, when it threw the first time, I checked it over and noticed that the Edlebrock alloy water pump was out of line with the crank pulley - as was the alternator. Some water pump spacers sorted that out and brought everything back into line. But it still throws the belt at high revs. Its a new 10mm belt from Halfords that sits deep in the groove and all the pulleys seem to run true.

I've attached a photo of the mounting. Has anyone had trouble with this sort flexing at high revs ?

The alternator has only the fixings that you see - i.e. no stay to manifold on top like many.

Mark

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Deep groove pulleys will solve your problems. When I was in high school I had a punched out 283 in a 56 Chevy Sedan. I would routinley take it to 7K and power shift. Everytime I did I would have to put the alternator belt back on. When I would miss a gear the tach would go almost off scale. When that happened the alternator fan would bow outward. I had to bend all the blades back before I could replace the belt. Ah the good old days.

Vince

#8 ·
Super Chevy said:
how punched out was this 283?
283 was punched to 292, Offenhouser(sp) intake, Carter AFB, Crower cam & rev kit. It was built by a friend of mines dad who was a well known circle track racer in the area at the time. The little 292 was so durable that people used to acuse me of having the lower end welded together.:D

Also the original generator didn't last long, so it was replaced with an alternator, this was circa 1968-9.

Vince

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.