Hot Rod Forum banner

Throwout fork

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Oilyrascal 
#1 · (Edited)
I posted this question within another section of this site and didnt have any luck with a helpful response so I am hoping to have better results here. Thanks again for all of your help.

I have what I am told is a 1970 351 W engine
I was told it was originally from a car such as torino ect ect from another ford forum and I am confident that I finally have that all sorted out and dont need to re-visit that again.

I am using this engine in a truck project, I do not however know what the trans came from originally, might be it is the same trans that has always been attached to the engine but I have a feeling not.

I pulled this engine and trans from a 68 F-350 so maybe the trans is original to that truck.

Anyway I notice that my throwout fork is fairly easily pulled out of and can be fairly easily inserted back into its place within the bellhousing.

Last weekend after scrounging clutch linkage parts at the boneyard I noticed that I cannot pull out the fork on other model trucks, ( I think they were early 80s or early 90s trucks ) they seemed to be held tight with some sort of internal spring that pulled the fork back in as I was trying to pull it out.

Stupid question maybe but what am I not understanding here. Why the differences?

I drove the 68 ( the truck I pulled the trans I am working with now ) for quite a few years and never had a problem shifting but that is not to say that whomever had done work in the past did anything correctly.

I dont want to get all of these clutch linkages fabricated/mounted and then have a throwout fork come out on me going down the road.

Thanks for any of your thoughts.

BTW if anyone can help me identify this trans that might be a help for the future.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well I don't know anything about Fords, but I do know the clutch fork on my Chevy uses a retaining tab to clamp down on the throw out bearing. It is supposed to be there. One side of the retaining tab on the fork I removed from my truck was broken.

I did find this relevant Chevy place to buy a replacement tab, but in the end I saw some small cracks on the fork and decided to replace the whole thing.

Which brings me to my next point, clutch forks are cheap. Buy a new one and be done with it. If it turns out the replacement does not have a retaining tab, then return it and keep using the old one.

#4 ·
Nope , hes right.
The fork has spring steel on the bearing end for the throw out bearing AND a small spring steel fork at the pivot , to keep the fork located on the pivot. Both are needed for long life of the throwout bearing.

By the way, in the future, do not create an Identical post. Just bump the original post up to the front if you feel the need.

#7 ·
Not sure when they changed, but the other day I pulled a clutch fork out of a late 80's Chevy Suburban 4WD, and no clip for the pivot ball. Seemed very strange to me, as I can only think the hydraulic slave somehow holds tension on it, but then that would cause the throwout bearing to constantly turn, which is bad.
Anyone else noticed these later forks with no clips?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.