Thrush Turbo vs Hush Thrush vs Dynomax Super Turbos - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2011, 05:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thrush Turbo vs Hush Thrush vs Dynomax Super Turbos

I'm in the process of building a typical 70's style street machine out of a '73 Chevy Nova. That means raked stance, slot mags etc. etc. I want to put on side exit exhaust and the current Flowmasters are all wrong for the 70's vibe. I need a little sound control so glasspacks are probably out. What is the difference between the three Walker-made (Thrush/Dynomax) mufflers in the title? I've had standard Thrush Turbos before and they were waaaay too quiet. So is the newly remade Hush Thrush louder than the standard Thrush Turbo? The Hush Thrush internally looks alot like the Dynomax Super Turbo but without the flow directors at the end of the case.

Cherry Bomb Turbo IIs were also a decent mufflers but it looks like they are no longer available. Cherry Bomb is remaking their original Turbo mufflers but they are larger in case size and I worry they might be too quiet like the standard Thrush Turbos. Any thoughts?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2011, 06:39 PM

Last photo:

All turbo style mufflers are about the same.

dynomax super turbos are really good mufflers if you like good flow and a quiet exhaust.

For more noise and better flow, I recommend the Hooker Aerochambers.

Flowmasters are terrible. super loud for the amount of flow (flow like dynomax).

Aerochambers are about twice as loud and a super turbo but the aero's flow a lot more. The aero's are about 1/2 as loud as a flowmaster
Old 05-30-2011, 02:05 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Check these guys out, my neighbor has these mufflers on his 40 Ford with a SBC, tough sounds! http://www.holley.com/types/Purple%20Hornies.asp

here them here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc1wo...eature=related

I want them on my coupe but I'll have to wait a few years.....
Old 05-31-2011, 10:22 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Classic Chambered mufflers!

Get longer ones to be quieter, shorter ones for louder.

If you have a F-body, there's whole freekin kits too. Same as what's on the Berger Camaros (and others).

GMMG
Old 05-31-2011, 06:08 PM

Honestly, I would love chambered pipes but they are a bit pricey. I may have to save up. I used to be a state inspection mechanic at a resto shop that did mostly muscle cars and vettes. I got to inspect a sidepipe equipped mid-year vettes at least once a month and sure loved that sound!
Old 11-27-2013, 11:24 AM

The difference

So here's a run down for Walker's three(4?) performance turbo mufflers:

- Thrush Turbos have two flow tubes and no fiberglass insulation
- Thrush Mad Hots/Hush Thrushes(same minus paint) have three flow tubes and insulation
- Dynomax Super Turbos have flow directors, three flow tubes, and insulation

That's my $.02, Brad
Old 11-27-2013, 06:35 PM

Thanks man!
Old 11-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saito View Post
I'm in the process of building a typical 70's style street machine out of a '73 Chevy Nova. That means raked stance, slot mags etc. etc. I want to put on side exit exhaust and the current Flowmasters are all wrong for the 70's vibe. I need a little sound control so glasspacks are probably out.
Uhmmm... if you are wanting a 70's style don't go on to say "glasspacks are probably out".

Glass pack header mufflers are what folks were using then, Cherry Bombs, Thrush and Purple Hornies.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:32 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Uhmmm... if you are wanting a 70's style don't go on to say "glasspacks are probably out".

Glass pack header mufflers are what folks were using then, Cherry Bombs, Thrush and Purple Hornies.
^^^^^^^^^FTW^^^^^^^^^^ magnaflow makes stainless steel ones that iirc use stainless steel wool.. so no burning out of the fiberglass.. and are inline of the cost of most good turbo type or areochamber unit.. I have a set of flowblasters on my car and it is a good showcar muffler. a car you'll only drive on w-ends and not looking for power/flow I like the sound they make in my bonestock monte SS's 305 185hp wonder from the outside, but inside the car at cruise speed is a headache the drone is really bad.. but for a 70's "vibe" glasspacks are as 70's as you can get..
make sure your state doesn't REQUIRE the exhaust pipe go passed the cabin, or the side exit will be a fail.. even if a shop ok's it.. all it'll take is one trooper to question it. and the shop loose it's lic. side pipes on vettes get a pass as they where a factory option at somepoint.. and if you look exit at end of cabin.. unlike your 73 nova..
good luck. REMEMBEr no one was running 3" pipe in the 70's on the street, other than street racers if they ran ny pipe.. glasspacks are not all that loud (persay) when 2.25' pipe is used..
iirc my buddies car the longer the g/p the deeper the tone got, but it got somewhat quite(compaired to most 15" g/p's ) so he went to 2.50" pipe and same lenth glasspack and got the loudness and deep tone.. think his were either 18 or 20/22" long he just added lenth to the 15" one and filled it, they are not that hard to make..
Old 11-28-2013, 09:35 AM

I've used the dynomax a lot. As for being too quite, if you're going to be running cats in ffront of the mufflers they all are going to be more mellow. One my work truck I have dynomax with cats and if I have to leave the house at 5am or return long after the kiddies go to bed I can do so without disturbing the neighbors but still give a nice tone when you're on the throttle. I've had the on cars without cats and they are a bit louder but not too much. To my ears the thrush turbos just sound cheap and nasty. It's not about the noise level just don't like the sound. I'd rather hear a set of glass packs.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:29 PM

While glasspacks (Thrush, Cherry Bombs, Sweet Talkin Purple Hornies, Arvin Speed Pacs, Street Sneakers, etcs.) were certainly the most common performance muffler back then, there were quieter options. Corvair turbo mufflers, Hemi mufflers and even big Cadillac mufflers were used for more of a sleeper vibe.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:36 PM

Last photo:

Back in the day 1971, I was running a 383 GTS dart, I had purple hornies on the headers and didn`t like the sound, working part time for International Harvester, parts delivery, I was delivering bunch of exhaust to a truck repair shop, while unloading them I looked at the muffler real good, 2.5 inlet and outlet, steel baffled no packing, I bought my own the next day, after install and fire up, they sounded exactly like the flowmasters today only not quite so harsh, possibly a little longer in length, by about two months later they were on back order for sixty, everybody in the Sacramento area wanted them, it was not long after say in the late seventies Flow master started here in West Sacramento.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 5150 69 View Post
Back in the day 1971, I was running a 383 GTS dart, I had purple hornies on the headers and didn`t like the sound, working part time for International Harvester, parts delivery, I was delivering bunch of exhaust to a truck repair shop, while unloading them I looked at the muffler real good, 2.5 inlet and outlet, steel baffled no packing, I bought my own the next day, after install and fire up, they sounded exactly like the flowmasters today only not quite so harsh, possibly a little longer in length, by about two months later they were on back order for sixty, everybody in the Sacramento area wanted them, it was not long after say in the late seventies Flow master started here in West Sacramento.
Little known fact, The original owner of Flowmaster was a fella by the name of Massey Ferguson, his fiance' was Allis Chalmers. They were from either Minneapolis, or Moline? What a Case they were. Their marriage ended in a bad divorce though, Allis wrote Massey a John Deere letter, or was that a Deere John letter?

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.