Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Thrust Bearing Wear
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FST4DR
xntrik, my tranny guy also looked at my torque converter and said it was worn where it should be, but he also told me when i bolt my flywheel onto my motor to hold the torque converter up against it and see if the front part of the torque converter fits into the crankshaft part, im not sure what that does but im going to give it a shot and see what happens, thx for the reply, ill keep you posted

The flex plates are not symetrical front to back, different offsets.
If a flexplate is installed wrong the torque converter might be pushing the crankshaft forward all the time. Just a thought. Or you might have an incorrect flexplate for your application. (Fords won't bolt on backwards)

What he is referring to is that the torque converter has a round centering piece maybe 1 1/2 inch in diameter and 1/2 inch high that fits into the crankshaft to center it.

I think that I would test fit the torque converter to the flex plate when off the engine, then fit the flexplate to the crankshaft. Make note of how far the "dowel" protrudes toward the crankshaft and see if it is enough.

Could be a wrong torque converter also.

You said in # 7 that your tranny guy came and looked at it..... He SHOULD know.