Hot Rod Forum banner

Thumpr Cam Question

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Blacktop Motorsports 
#1 ·
I have a question for my hotrodder friends out there . Can I install my Thumpr 279 cam straight-up since its for cruising and a little mash on it every once in a while let me know please !

#7 ·
Those cams are really for those that don`t know how to make a basic high performance cam lope at idle so really it`s nothing more than a sales pitch cam that costs power. My friends cutlass has a Vortec 350 and we installed a Comp .218 duration @.050 cam. It says "Noticeable idle" and it does, it idles with a really nice lope and it doesn`t cause any power loss.
I played with timing figures for a long time when I learned how to make them lope. That same friend of mine purchased a chevy truck not long ago with a build 350. The thing ran decent,, if that`s the word for it. Anyways, it`s got a set of headers, 882 junk heads, a edelbrock intake and carb. When he got it, it idled smooth, he was told it had a lopey cam in it, but it didn`t sound like it. The thing was completely gutless on power. So he brought it to me and left it a few days. I did some work on it and when I took it back to him it had a nice lopey idle. The guy he bought it from came by and heard it run and wanted to buy it back on the spot. He asked me "How did you make it lope?" and all I said was "Nothing to it"

#9 ·
I have built a lot of engines over the past 50 years and I can tell you if it was me I would opt for a solid roller. Something with a 106 CL 268 degrees
of duration. Like the man said those cams are a cash cow. Use a cam that works. Check all your figures Car weight, gear,tire size and horsepower before you buy a stick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.