Hot Rod Forum banner

is ti true a mis-wired starter will not disengage?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  35terraplane 
#1 ·
i wondered if ti si true if you dont wire your ignition correctly, your starter teeth will stay against the flywheel and not disengage, will burn out and all heck will break loose?? fitst wiring i did, i noticed the starter gear against the flywheel, I changed to a heavier wire for a ground and bank, it seems ok, but someone told me it might be missed wired, so I thought id ask

#2 ·
Starter

Studedean said:
i wondered if ti si true if you dont wire your ignition correctly, your starter teeth will stay against the flywheel and not disengage, will burn out and all heck will break loose?? fitst wiring i did, i noticed the starter gear against the flywheel, I changed to a heavier wire for a ground and bank, it seems ok, but someone told me it might be missed wired, so I thought id ask
You would have to have 12v going to the solenoid "S" terminal all the time, that would mean the key was turned all the way to start and the neutral safety switch was closed. Or you have a 12v hot wire hooked to that "S" terminal.

My guess is your starter is binding on the shaft when you engage it. you might have to shim the starter to get it aligned. Then just engage it and dis-engage it a few times to see if it will go in and out ok.

If it did not dis-engage before you put the bigger ground wire on it, you might have not had a good ground to start with. but to keep it in, with power it would have turned the engine over or started smoking pretty quick.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.