Ticking - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2003, 10:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Ticking

Alright...yet another question about my "new" car..1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 5.7cyl 350 rocket. There is a slight ticking in the engine while it runs....My father said it is a crack in the exaust manifold but I don't know if he is right. My mom thinks it's a "lifter" and is afraid of me driving it so if anyone can clear this up for me it would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2003, 10:42 PM
Superior Wheels Quality Tech

Last photo:

Hmm.. Start the engine up and run your hand about and inch from the manifolds... See if you can find anywhere that you can feel the tinyist puffs of air coming out.. My camaro had a ticking that took me a few days to track down.. Ended up being at the bottom of the exaust manifold just before it clamps to exauhst pipe (dam speed bumps)... If you can't find it puffing air anywhere then take a valve cover off and start the engine and see if its a rocker clapping. If it is then simply tighten it till its not ticking then go another 1/4 turn. Be sure not to over tighten! And oh yeah.. may wanna do it in some old clothes cause u can expect oil to be spitting if the rocker is in fact clapping.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:49 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

also,

with the engine running, take an old rag, double it up real good, (if it has duals, get your mom or dad or a buddyto do one side) and cover up the exhaust. if its an exhaust leak, you'll really hear it.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:54 PM
Superior Wheels Quality Tech

Last photo:

Never thaught of that... Good idea... hehe By the way would a small exauhst leak (pin hole size) cause u to lose any horse power?
Old 09-01-2003, 10:59 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

i think hp loss would be negligible,the sound is just annoying ....
and a small leak often turns into a bigger one.....
Old 09-01-2003, 11:59 PM

Last photo:

what I do to find any noise is cut a length of heater hose or garden hose a few feet long. long enough to reach from you r ear to whatever you want to hear. put on end on your ear and use your other hand to guide the end of the hose around all the exhaust joints, you will definately be able to tell iff you find a leak or not with that. another way is to take off the fan when its cold and start it up, you should be able to feel exhaust leaks in the manifolds like that also. and another idea, have a friend sit in the car and push the brakes and the gas (in gear) at the same time, not a burnout but enough to put a load on the engine, engine load seams to bring out manifold leaks more than just idle. good luck. you can use your hose to stick on the top of the valve cover to to listen for lifter ticks if you dont find it to be the exhaust. I've had this problem before so I know how ya feel.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:22 AM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

a friend of mine had the same kind of noise & he changed the motor(thinking its bad) only to find of it was his distributor that was making the noise. BUTTTTTTTTTTTT it could be any of the above reasons also & i would look at those first.........joe
Old 09-02-2003, 11:50 AM

Last photo:

In my '84 Grand Prix with a 305 I had a tick in it as well. Since I was replacing the engine I just drove it with the tick for about 4 or 5 months. It never did anything bad (engine still ran good when I took it out). Turned out to be a lifter was messed.
-Holley 600 cfm 4-barrel
-Flowmaster Afterburner headers
-Turbo 350 Transmission
Old 09-02-2003, 01:00 PM

One trick for finding a ticking lifter is to take a broomstick handle and place one end on the valve cover while holding the other end at your ear, then move the handle from one cylinder to another. If you have lifter noise, you will definitely hear it when you get to the right cylinder!
Old 09-02-2003, 03:45 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

A few years ago I was driving thru the rain on my way home from work when suddenly I was forced to drive to one side of the right lane and splashed thru a water puddle that almost sent the car sliding into the curb. As soon as I regained controll, the car picked up a bab vibration and began to spit fire through the carb and pop and bang and make all kinds of noise. Since I run a MSD box on the car with a gutted dist. I assumed water had gotton into the dist. I drove it around the block and parked it and left it for a few day's to dry. I fired it up and the engine, popped, banged spit fire as well as this very wierd ticking noise that I was not acustomed to hearing. Worried at this point, l lifted the hood and went to unscrew the dist. cap and it just fell off! The water I had to drive through knocked the cap right off the dist base. She ran well agian after cleaning and reinspecting all the electronics.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.