Ticking Noise - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 12:50 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ticking Noise

So last April i got my engine all together and fired up. It is a 76 350 bored .030 over with a Eagle Stroker Kit (ESP Crank, SIR Rods, Speed Pro Hypers, Clevite 77 Bearings) and i used a Comp Cams 268H cam with supporting springs and lifters and 882 heads.

Anyway, when we fired it up for the first time, we noticed a slight knock but didnt sound like anything serious. It was a clicking noise like a lifter or something. So we used a long screwdriver and fund that it is coming from the #1 cylinder. Its most prominent towards the top of the engine, but you can hear it in the bottom end too, its just no as loud. You also cant hear it on any other cylinder. So what i concluded it that it valvetrain related because if it was a rod bearing i should be able to hear it on the #2 cylinder and if it was a main then i would be able to hear it on more cylinders. It also stays the same noise if its cold or hot, actually its somewhat louder when cold. So i didnt think too much of it because it runs great and you can really only hear it if your under the hood and drove it since then as my daily driver.

So now that its fall, the car is off the road and i'm putting some new heads on and was gonna pull the engine to see how it is fairing (I get bored and have lots of time). I got to thinkin about the knock again and was wondering what you guys think. I know pretty much everything is possible but your guys experience can give me an idea of what to expect.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2008, 01:22 PM
AKA Lee in KC

Last photo:

After installation of the stroker kit did you check clearances at the oil pan rails and the cam?
Old 09-17-2008, 02:01 PM
boatbob2

ticking????

HI,did you have the rod big end checked? and also the main bearing to main clearance? use plasti guage fairly good measurements...
Old 09-17-2008, 02:09 PM

Last photo:

Yeah i checked all of the clearances with plastigage and then second guessed myself and then used a micrometer on everything. The rods and bolts had tons of room. They were also clearanced for up to .600" of lift. I also had the kit balanced and everything. I just couldnt see how in the first second of the engine firing you could trash a rod bearing enough to cause it to knock. Plus i've put about 1500 miles on it and the noise hasnt changed at all.

I'm pretty sure that its not a bearing because it not a loud bam-bam-bam-bam but it more like a tick---tick---tick---tick

edit: i had to do a little bit of clearancing on the pan rails, about 30-45 mins with the die grinder. I was actually surprised at how little i had to remove. I have a good quarter of an inch on all rod/rail clearances.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,146 Times in 945 Posts
I'm thinkin' something simple like a timing pointer catching on the groove in the harmonic damper.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

I might get schooled for this one, but there is no timing marker. I had to cut it off to fit the 400 dampner. I had to go old school and had my friends dad come over and time it by ear. He did a pretty good job, it doesnt detonate and has a nice crisp throttle response.

Its somethin internal. A good question is if it is a valvetrain related, could i still be able to hear the noise in the block. I cant really hear it in the pan which seems to further rule out a bearing.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

Change the balancer and install new header gaskets....ya got a leak...at least that's what I think for what it's worth.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:30 PM

Last photo:

The dampner was a brand spankin new Pioneer that came with the kit. It doesnt sound like a exhaust leak, thats more of like a puffing noise. This sounds like if you tap your nail lightly on the desk. I'm probably just gonna have to tear it apart and see what i find.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:46 PM
GTS Monaro Coupe 406

Last photo:

Besides whats been said the noise can also come from...

Crank/Rods hitting windage tray...some arent welded in.

A lifter that hasnt bedded and is wearing real fast !!! If this is so the clearance on that rocker will continue to widen.

Try a long flexible tube in the ear with a metal stem jammed in the other end which is held against the area of interest.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:05 PM
GTS Monaro Coupe 406

Last photo:

Crank it over by hand without the plugs. Then with starter with igintion isolated properly and any electrical pumps etc off so you can hear things.

Even with the engine running ... When you can hear the noise put the steth down the rocker oil filler (get it over No1) and at a angle onto the the pushrod end of the rocker.

Same as exhaust. Go from section to section with the stethoscope becuase gas coming out under high pressure can sound like a click.

Devide the block and the same.

One reason for so many places to check is to narrow down all the noises you hear and get accustomed to them.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:26 PM

Same as exhaust. Go from section to section with the stethoscope becuase gas coming out under high pressure

my first thought!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2008, 08:07 PM

Last photo:

So basically what you saying is put the stethoscope on the rocker (push rod side) and listen on each valve. I have a set of valve covers with holes in them because i was using them to adjust valves originally.

On the gas making the noise, wouldnt i be able to hear it in all cylinders?

I got to thinkin that it sounds like a loose rocker, but i have adjusted the valves numerous times and it doesnt go away on the #1 cylinder. The thing that worries me is that i can hear the tick in the block. Is it possible the pistone could be slightly damaged like a broken ring or ring land and makin noise like that? Now that i think of it, i did a compression test and that cylinder was fine so it couldnt really be that.

What about a bad valve guide or seat or something. When i put the heads on i knew they were crap and didnt really do anything to them. I figured it was temporary. I'm just throwin some ideas out there.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:08 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Check the valve guides very closely. And yes, a exhaust leak can cause a tick. Paper header gaskets should be soaked in water so they swell and hold moisture. But I always run factory exhaust manifold gaskets, they are meshed steel, cheap, and very easy to use compared to header gaskets.
Once years ago a friends new engine had a "tick" over time the tick got worse until it was discovered the valve guide was completely gone.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:34 AM

Last photo:

I am gettin a lot of blue smoke. Thats why i got new heads plus the 882 are nothin special. I guess it could be the guide.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.