Hot Rod Forum banner

Ticking noise (Videos Inside)

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  68 firebird 
#1 ·
My built 350 SBC, has developed a ticking noise.

Here is a video with the motor running, it's idleing low here, it hasn't warmed up. But you can here the ticking.

And here is one with the motor off, it keeps ticking for a few seconds when turned off, and then stops.

Any ideas what this is?

I also have a fuel smell in my oil. The carb has flooded a few times lately as well.

Thanks guys.

#4 ·
Yes, simple as that. It's not really going to hurt anything as long as that is what it is. From the video it sounds like a leak on the drivers side. I'd be willing to bet if you just tighten them up, it will quiet down a lot. You will still need new gasket to fix it right. You should see some black "soot" around the one that's leaking, but very easy to put in new gasket and fix it.

#5 ·
I agree with Chevyguy. Why don't you take a length of heater hose and use it like a stethoscope. One end to your ear and the other end to move around the engine searching for the noise. I've located many funny noises with a 2' piece of heater hose. You should be able to pin point where it's coming from.

BB :thumbup::thumbup:

#8 ·
Pretty much any auto parts store will have them. I use the individual felpro ones, but I really like the "soft" aluminum or copper ones as they won't blow out. I would just stay away from the really cheap paper type ones. Also you should be able to leave in the front and back header bolts. Just remove the rest and loosen those. The gasket should be "hooked" on each end and will slide over the loose front and rear bolts so you don't have to fight with the header/gasket to line the bolts up. Hope that makes sense.

Chevyguy13

#22 ·
I called and talked to the tech dept. at Jegs, and the guy seemed to think that since my headers are 1 7/8 diameter, that I would need a round port gasket. Does that sound right to you guys?

I'll be having someone install the gaskets, that's why I'm trying to figure out which gaskets I need before hand.

With 1 7/8 size headers, is there a certain size gasket I should get?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.