Tie rod/draglink clearance and front suspension travel question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2010, 08:57 PM

Last journal entry: Mini Tubbing a 1967 Firebird Convertible Part 1
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tie rod/draglink clearance and front suspension travel question

I finally have my front end together and I am having a couple of issues. Here's what I have:

It's a 4" drop I-beam axle with 4-bars. I have a Vega box installed that may have to be moved back - the pitman arm is interfering with the tie rod. My plan is to try a stock Vega pitman arm with the offset in it to clear (the bolt head that connects the rod end to the end of the pitman arm is rubbing on the tie rod). Moving the Vega box back is complicated by the motor plate bracket on the frame.

My question is, how much clearance do I need between the bottom of the frame and the tie rod? I only have an inch right now and that looks like a disaster waiting to happen on the first bump I hit. I plan on notching the frame above the tie rod and drag link, I just have no idea how much a pothole could cause the front axle to move. Other than jacking up the car on one side @ the wheel, is there a better way to determine how much it can move? Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 09:23 PM

Last photo:

Here's a pic of the clearance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crop 1.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	44923  
Old 04-05-2010, 12:01 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

At some time (maybe many times) in the cars life, the suspension will move until something hits the frame, bumpstop or the shock bottoms out unless the spring is so stiff that it can't. If you remove the tie rod, determine how much clearance the supension has in bump until the next thing hits, like the axle to the frame for example. If that is enough travel for you then that is how much clearance you need for the steering linkage. I would recommend at the very least 2'' of bump travel before you hit a bump stop, 3" is better.

Andy
Old 04-05-2010, 08:36 PM

Last photo:

Thanks, I'll do that. Exactly what I was looking for!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:38 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Judging from the photo you posted, the steering arms that you are using appear to be the 'flat' style. You didn't specify what spindles you were running. Below are photos of various steering arms for both 49-54 Chevy spindles and primarily for 37-48 Ford spindles. At least one version of the Ford spindle steering arms is a droppped style. The flat style steering arms can also be bent to a lower configuration. This will enable additional clearance between the tie rod and the frame.

NOTE: Early stock Ford spindles, when running a dropped axle, had to have the stock steering arms heated and bent to clear the radius rods.

The photos are scanned from an older Speedways catalog, so I blocked out the prices as they are not current.

I had a similar problem with the mount position of the Vega steering box. The positioning had been done by the aftermarket frame manufacturer. Rather than cut it loose and relocate the mount, I found that their are several different length pitman arms available for the Vega box. I found one that was about 1" shorter than what was on the box when I got it. Problem solved. Steering was effortless.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steering arm-1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	44949   Click image for larger version

Name:	steering arm-2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	44950   Click image for larger version

Name:	steering arm-3.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	44951  

Last edited by Frisco; 04-06-2010 at 07:47 AM. Reason: added info about Vega pitman arm
Old 04-06-2010, 08:44 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Frisco... I have been looking for different length pitman arms, and Speedway just started carrying the stock Vega items, which I ordered to see if it clears. The steering arms are flat (Speedway 37 - 41 style spindles). I considered the 3.75" lowered steering arms, but that puts it exactly where the lower 4 bar is. The "stock" steering arms have a 1.75" drop from the mounting holes, but that pretty much puts them where the flat ones are (although they do look much better).

This is my first build, so I am learning on the fly about this (What can be bent, what can't, geometry of the components, etc) so I really appreciate the information.

Thanks again!
Old 04-07-2010, 07:34 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slomotion34
I considered the 3.75" lowered steering arms, but that puts it exactly where the lower 4 bar is. The "stock" steering arms have a 1.75" drop from the mounting holes, but that pretty much puts them where the flat ones are (although they do look much better).
Most of the aftermarket steering arms have the tie rod taper bored halfway thru from both the top and the bottom. This enables the tie rod end to be installed either above or below the steering arm. You may be able to use the 3.75" dropped arms and install the tie rod above which will enable it to clear the lower 4 bar and still give the needed clearance below the frame rails.

Some combination or slight modification will work.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.