Tie Rod End Joints -Need Machining - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2010, 06:07 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tie Rod End Joints -Need Machining

I need a recommendation for an affordable machine shop that would be willing to reduce the diameter of the studs on these tie rod end hiem joints (total of 8).

Unfortunately, the machine shop near me wants an arm and leg for the work...I think they're simply not interested.

I considered pressing the studs out, but as far as I know a replacement stud would not have the proper diameter and subsequent step down in thread size. Machining might be my only option.

You can see the stock diameter stud in comparison for a visual approximation of how far down the thread needs to be reduced.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2010, 03:39 PM
More for Less Racer

There is absolutely no way you should be using those for suspension/steering links with just the stud portion pressed into the hole in the ball. Very unsafe Use dedicated thru bolts in rod ends or real tierod ends.

I can understand why a shop wouldn't want to do it due to the liability involved, I wouldn't touch them either. If the car is involved in an accident you could be on the hook in a bad way.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

There is an actual tie rod adapter to heim stud..Here you go..

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Adjust...Heim,3333.html

Sam
Old 09-03-2010, 06:04 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will take your advice and remove the studs from the heim joints....any tips on how to do it?

Now I am left with the task of finding an acceptable through style stud.

It needs to be 3/4" in diameter and than taper down to 3/8" I have the feeling this might have to be something that will need to be custom machined.

Unfortunately, the Tie-Rod adapter posted in that link is only 7/16" thread so it is not going to do the trick.

Any further suggestions are appreciated.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:02 PM
More for Less Racer

You should just be able to press the stud out of the ball with a hydraulic press. Support it at the flat on the side of the ball, not on the heim body when pressing or you will damage the ball race in the body. Unless they are peened over on the end to prevent them coming out, then you would have to mill off the peened portion. I can't really tell from the picture if they are peened or not.

Is there any way you could increase the size of the hole in whatever those 3/8" studs have to bolt into, rather than trying to shrink a bigger stud down to that size?? Increasing the size of the hole to 7/16" to use the Speedway stud would only be removing .031" from each side of the hole, a pretty miniscule amount

Looks like this is some kind of suspension link for an independant rear set-up??
Old 09-09-2010, 08:50 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
You should just be able to press the stud out of the ball with a hydraulic press. Support it at the flat on the side of the ball, not on the heim body when pressing or you will damage the ball race in the body. Unless they are peened over on the end to prevent them coming out, then you would have to mill off the peened portion. I can't really tell from the picture if they are peened or not.

Is there any way you could increase the size of the hole in whatever those 3/8" studs have to bolt into, rather than trying to shrink a bigger stud down to that size?? Increasing the size of the hole to 7/16" to use the Speedway stud would only be removing .031" from each side of the hole, a pretty miniscule amount

Looks like this is some kind of suspension link for an independant rear set-up??
Thanks for the advice on pressing the studs out but I don't think the speedway adapter will work as the diameter of the hole in the heim joint is 3/4" while the adapter is only 5/8" so it wont fill it out properly.

These endlinks are part of a front suspension setup. They link the front strut to the sway bar. Unfortunately, I don't have much room to expand the diameter that the end portion of the stud goes into.

At this point, I think my only option is to use a 3/4" hex bolt and have a portion of the tip machined down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72

Old 09-09-2010, 11:19 AM
More for Less Racer

You can get hiem joints that are 3/4" shank but have a 5/8" hole thru the ball. Commonly used in racing rear 4-links.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.