tie rod pullers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009, 12:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

tie rod pullers

Does anyone use or have those tie rod pullers (OTC 6295 , KD tools KD41690)? They have a 5pc front end service kit, and was curious how good they work,depending how tight the stud is. Was think of putting away the pickle forks, especially on painted suspension parts.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 05:54 PM

Last photo:

OTC tools are some of the best if not the best in the industry. Generally what ever the description says that it is used for is true. I have several different tools sets for different applications that I have bought from OTC and I am very pleased with all of them. Now of all of the front end and drive line tools that I have used I have found that for certain applications such as ball joints, control arm bushings, U-joints and such nothing beats a good hydraulic press. But if you are not able to afford a good one (GOOD ONE) then you have to go with what you can afford and OTC fits the bill. Even though I have graduated to a press for a lot of the work that I do I still have to rely on the specialty hand tools and sets for removal of the parts from the car. The best pitman arm puller that I have is an OTC. I strongly believe that when you are able to buy a press make sure it is a good one! One with as many attachments that you can find and preferably air over Hydraulic. And you might be able to guess this: the press that I use is the 55 Ton OTC, air over hydraulic. Their stuff is a little pricey when compared to the discount tool stores but they are not as expensive as the top name tool truck items. Good stuff!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:48 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

OTC is a really good brand yes!

wehaveone of these exact kits and we use the TRE remover tool alot with the 1/2" impact gun and it really works great it always pops the TRE stud out of the spindles and such very well with a real loud ka-POP!

this kit is horrible for bal joints on the common ford and gm front wheel drive cars though

in which are always a pain because the CV shaft is always in the way and all you cna use is an old school pickle fork and damage the ball joint boots every time

seems to be no other way on these ball joints.

so fail...

we pop hundreds of thjese FWD balljoints each year to replace trannies and replace CV shafts and perform other service work for ppl...
Old 04-01-2009, 05:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast68
OTC is a really good brand yes!

this kit is horrible for bal joints on the common ford and gm front wheel drive cars though

in which are always a pain because the CV shaft is always in the way and all you cna use is an old school pickle fork and damage the ball joint boots every time

Yeah! I don't think the old school pickle fork is ready for retirement just yet. Even though their work load has been reduced, they sit there in my tool box waiting, almost laughing at me, daunting me as if to say, "I'll brake it loose, just give me a try. I may take the boot with it but I'll brake it loose"! And they always do. I have three different sizes and when I retire they'll probably be passed on to the next guy. In some cases you can buy just the replacement boot. I know NAPA sells a few universal boots in various sizes. It's just another case in point that cars are built to be put together not taken apart.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:46 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

I don't work as a mechanic. I just do all my own work on my own vehicles. I hate pickle forks because they always destroy the boot (duh!). I don't have a full kit. I bought a pitman arm puller and a tie rod end puller from some auto parts store in whatever crappy brand they carry. They have a solid yolk and screw. Of course the pitman arm puller has been too small for most of the pitman arms I have tried to pull off but it works well on ball joints and bigger tie rod ends. If they won't work I will thread a nut over the stud and hit it with a BFH a few times. It is a bunch easier to find a replacement nut than a replacement boot.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.