Hot Rod Forum banner

Tig/Arc/Plasma Cutter Combo

13K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  naxabusyb 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

First of all I hope this is the best place for this post. If not feel free to move it as necessary.

I used a plasma cutter (cheapo harbor freight setup) for the first time yesterday. I knew that these were sweet, but man it make you wonder why ANYONE is using a oxy/ac setup anymore! I am an old time torch user (or should say WAS) but this has definately changed my mind. I don't do much fabricating, but enjoy it and I think I would probabaly get into it a little more again if I had some good tools.

Anyway, these plasma cutters are real highly priced (at least name brand ones). I am the current owner of a millermatic 135 and love it. There is a definate difference in cheap welders and good welders. I started looking around and found myself on "fleabay" which there were several machines listed. Most of these were not made in the US.

I found many that were TIG/ARC/Plasma combo's. I really have no use for the arc welder. I had a lincoln crackerbox that I got rid of recently because I didn't use it since I got my Miller. I would really like to learn TIG though. I don't know that I can justify spending $1000+ on just a plasma cutter, even though I would be buying an inferior product for less.

$400-$600 for a TIG/ARC/Plasma would definately be worth the money if it would hold up under light use. What do you think?

See less See more
#2 ·
TIG/ARC/Plasma

I had bought mine off of ebay, I took a chance, but after much reading I settled on one made by a company called Riland (they are pretty much all the same, Mitech, Riland, Dayton, and others) I bought mine about a year ago on ebay for the sum of 700.00. Not a bad deal, but today they are on there for as little as $450.00! I have had mine for a year and have beat the snot out of it. Cutting through truck frames, 3/8" steel, 1/2" steel, leaf springs, you name it. Never skipped a beat and it has never overheated! It's a Riland CT130. On the thicker metals it's not as clean of a cut, but does nicely for a sever cut. I have not used it for DC stick or TIG as of yet, but have not had the time to go out and buy a bottle of Argon for it and set it up for TIG welding. (that is on my list of things to do) I am still getting the hang of MIG welding with my other unit and working with sheet metal. If interested, I can send some photos of some of the metal pieces that I have cut as well as the unit itself. The big thing to remember is that the consumables have to be cheap enough. I have bought 90 pieces of consumables for this unit, and it was about 100.00 for it shipped to my door. Not a bad deal, and most of the time depending on how hard I am using the unit, I can get about 3 jobs out of 1 set of consumables. They should last me for a while...

#3 ·
That's cool, glad to hear some positive feedback on them. I would love to spend the $1200 or so for a plasma and the same on a TIG, I just wouldn't love to be around when my old lady found out about it!

For the amount that I will use them, I think the unit that you have would do just fine. I have seen this unit online and this is the one I was interested in. I have a tank that I use with my MIG (70/20 now, but I could swap it out for pure argon) that way I wouldn't have to get another one. What consumables are you talking about, the tips? Also do you think it would be possible to convert to a USA made gun on this machine? That is one thing I noticed with my friends that seemed kind of "cheap". How about the unit itself, does it look/seem pretty sturdy and rugged?

Any pics would be great.

#4 ·
Well the wife told me to buy mine, I was hemming and hawing about the price, and she told me to buy it since it was cheaper.
It's built pretty well. I would not hesitate to use it everyday. I have never run it to overtemp nor have I seen the light even come on (while cutting through 1/2 thick peterbuilt truck frames)(I used those to make a welding/plasma table out of them) The consumables are the tips, and I have thought about the same thing, converting to a standard US made handle. It would not be that difficult, but the US torch handles are damn expensive! I have seen new and used ones that go for as much if not more than my machine itself! The consumables are cheap (consists of electrode, swirl ring, tip and shield) I think the last set I had bought from a dealer was 10 sets for $25.00 plus shipping. Still cheaper than refilling tanks for a oxy/ace set. The unit runs on 220v, and my garage is TINY! I have a 1 car garage with only 20a 110v service in it. I made up an extension to go from my basement to the garage area. Total cost of the extension cord with plugs was about 50.00. Once I get a little more positive cash flow, and the projects slow down, I will build a new garage. Overall I would not hesitate to buy another one of these units. (as a matter of fact since they have dropped in price, I was thinking about buying one in case this one dies) and I don't think I could do without one. I absolutely love it! Look below for some photos of what I had cut so far with the unit.

Attachments

#5 ·
Here are a couple more photos.... My first welding project that I built was that welding cart. It holds everything. I just have to get the outlet box on the back wired up so I can use it. Once it cools off here (yep Wisconsin hit 108 degrees!) I will take care of all of that stuff.... The picture of the Peterbuilt truck frame is the top to my welding/plasma table. It's heavy as sin and works great. I need to add a shelf on the bottom for holding my scrap pieces of metal. Both the welding cart and the plasma table were made completely from scrap materials.

Attachments

#6 ·
That's cool. I like your cart you made. I have a prebuilt one right now for my MIG, but if I was to get this, I would have to build one to hold both the MIG and TIG/Plasma.

I think you have convinced me that this would be would be worth at least what these are going for - if not more. I will more than likely get one of these units when the time is right! Thanks a bunch for your help and for the pics.

Travis

#7 ·
Thanks, I built the cart for that reason, to hold the MIG TIG/Plasma. But I use the MIG more right now, and have 3 grinders that I use pretty much all the time. (regular grinder, sandpaper flap, cutting disk) So I took the TIG/Plasma off the 2nd shelf and just carry that (since I use it outside most of the time) and keep the grinders on the 2nd shelf. Thanks for the input on the cart. I will snap some more photos of that and the table. Built the cart on the ground and whipped it up in about 4 hours total. (Since I was teaching myself how to weld on it) It was funny. I first welded it and the welds did not look right to me at first. So I leaned on it and SNAP! It all fell apart! Well then I cleaned it all up again, turned up the heat, slowed down on the welding pass and that did the trick! Nothing better than learning on your own. :thumbup: I see that you are in Warner Robbins, GA. Been down that way with work. Next time I am in the GA area, I will have to look you up.
:welcome:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.