Tig/Arc/Plasma Cutter Combo - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 06:38 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tig/Arc/Plasma Cutter Combo

Hey guys,

First of all I hope this is the best place for this post. If not feel free to move it as necessary.

I used a plasma cutter (cheapo harbor freight setup) for the first time yesterday. I knew that these were sweet, but man it make you wonder why ANYONE is using a oxy/ac setup anymore! I am an old time torch user (or should say WAS) but this has definately changed my mind. I don't do much fabricating, but enjoy it and I think I would probabaly get into it a little more again if I had some good tools.

Anyway, these plasma cutters are real highly priced (at least name brand ones). I am the current owner of a millermatic 135 and love it. There is a definate difference in cheap welders and good welders. I started looking around and found myself on "fleabay" which there were several machines listed. Most of these were not made in the US.

I found many that were TIG/ARC/Plasma combo's. I really have no use for the arc welder. I had a lincoln crackerbox that I got rid of recently because I didn't use it since I got my Miller. I would really like to learn TIG though. I don't know that I can justify spending $1000+ on just a plasma cutter, even though I would be buying an inferior product for less.

$400-$600 for a TIG/ARC/Plasma would definately be worth the money if it would hold up under light use. What do you think?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2006, 08:30 PM

Last journal entry: Journal Update
Last photo:

TIG/ARC/Plasma

I had bought mine off of ebay, I took a chance, but after much reading I settled on one made by a company called Riland (they are pretty much all the same, Mitech, Riland, Dayton, and others) I bought mine about a year ago on ebay for the sum of 700.00. Not a bad deal, but today they are on there for as little as $450.00! I have had mine for a year and have beat the snot out of it. Cutting through truck frames, 3/8" steel, 1/2" steel, leaf springs, you name it. Never skipped a beat and it has never overheated! It's a Riland CT130. On the thicker metals it's not as clean of a cut, but does nicely for a sever cut. I have not used it for DC stick or TIG as of yet, but have not had the time to go out and buy a bottle of Argon for it and set it up for TIG welding. (that is on my list of things to do) I am still getting the hang of MIG welding with my other unit and working with sheet metal. If interested, I can send some photos of some of the metal pieces that I have cut as well as the unit itself. The big thing to remember is that the consumables have to be cheap enough. I have bought 90 pieces of consumables for this unit, and it was about 100.00 for it shipped to my door. Not a bad deal, and most of the time depending on how hard I am using the unit, I can get about 3 jobs out of 1 set of consumables. They should last me for a while...
Old 08-01-2006, 06:14 PM

Last photo:

That's cool, glad to hear some positive feedback on them. I would love to spend the $1200 or so for a plasma and the same on a TIG, I just wouldn't love to be around when my old lady found out about it!

For the amount that I will use them, I think the unit that you have would do just fine. I have seen this unit online and this is the one I was interested in. I have a tank that I use with my MIG (70/20 now, but I could swap it out for pure argon) that way I wouldn't have to get another one. What consumables are you talking about, the tips? Also do you think it would be possible to convert to a USA made gun on this machine? That is one thing I noticed with my friends that seemed kind of "cheap". How about the unit itself, does it look/seem pretty sturdy and rugged?

Any pics would be great.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:26 PM

Last photo:

Well the wife told me to buy mine, I was hemming and hawing about the price, and she told me to buy it since it was cheaper.
It's built pretty well. I would not hesitate to use it everyday. I have never run it to overtemp nor have I seen the light even come on (while cutting through 1/2 thick peterbuilt truck frames)(I used those to make a welding/plasma table out of them) The consumables are the tips, and I have thought about the same thing, converting to a standard US made handle. It would not be that difficult, but the US torch handles are damn expensive! I have seen new and used ones that go for as much if not more than my machine itself! The consumables are cheap (consists of electrode, swirl ring, tip and shield) I think the last set I had bought from a dealer was 10 sets for $25.00 plus shipping. Still cheaper than refilling tanks for a oxy/ace set. The unit runs on 220v, and my garage is TINY! I have a 1 car garage with only 20a 110v service in it. I made up an extension to go from my basement to the garage area. Total cost of the extension cord with plugs was about 50.00. Once I get a little more positive cash flow, and the projects slow down, I will build a new garage. Overall I would not hesitate to buy another one of these units. (as a matter of fact since they have dropped in price, I was thinking about buying one in case this one dies) and I don't think I could do without one. I absolutely love it! Look below for some photos of what I had cut so far with the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	080106 - Plasma Cutter 003.jpg
Views:	1044
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	13814   Click image for larger version

Name:	080106 - Plasma Cutter 002.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	13815   Click image for larger version

Name:	080106 - Plasma Cutter 004.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	13816   Click image for larger version

Name:	080106 - Plasma Cutter 007.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	13817   Click image for larger version

Name:	080106 - Plasma Cutter 009.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	13818  

Old 08-01-2006, 08:29 PM

Last photo:

Here are a couple more photos.... My first welding project that I built was that welding cart. It holds everything. I just have to get the outlet box on the back wired up so I can use it. Once it cools off here (yep Wisconsin hit 108 degrees!) I will take care of all of that stuff.... The picture of the Peterbuilt truck frame is the top to my welding/plasma table. It's heavy as sin and works great. I need to add a shelf on the bottom for holding my scrap pieces of metal. Both the welding cart and the plasma table were made completely from scrap materials.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	080106 - Plasma Cutter 001.jpg
Views:	945
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	13819   Click image for larger version

Name:	080106 - Plasma Cutter 005.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	13820   Click image for larger version

Name:	080106 - Plasma Cutter 006.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	13821   Click image for larger version

Name:	080106 - Plasma Cutter 008.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	13822   Click image for larger version

Name:	080106 - Plasma Cutter 010.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	13823  

Old 08-02-2006, 05:06 AM

Last photo:

That's cool. I like your cart you made. I have a prebuilt one right now for my MIG, but if I was to get this, I would have to build one to hold both the MIG and TIG/Plasma.

I think you have convinced me that this would be would be worth at least what these are going for - if not more. I will more than likely get one of these units when the time is right! Thanks a bunch for your help and for the pics.

Travis
Old 08-02-2006, 05:21 AM

Last photo:

Thanks, I built the cart for that reason, to hold the MIG TIG/Plasma. But I use the MIG more right now, and have 3 grinders that I use pretty much all the time. (regular grinder, sandpaper flap, cutting disk) So I took the TIG/Plasma off the 2nd shelf and just carry that (since I use it outside most of the time) and keep the grinders on the 2nd shelf. Thanks for the input on the cart. I will snap some more photos of that and the table. Built the cart on the ground and whipped it up in about 4 hours total. (Since I was teaching myself how to weld on it) It was funny. I first welded it and the welds did not look right to me at first. So I leaned on it and SNAP! It all fell apart! Well then I cleaned it all up again, turned up the heat, slowed down on the welding pass and that did the trick! Nothing better than learning on your own. I see that you are in Warner Robbins, GA. Been down that way with work. Next time I am in the GA area, I will have to look you up.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:26 AM

Last photo:

Yea do that! What kind of work do you do?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:31 AM

Hot News

Last edited by Kevin45; 08-31-2006 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Spam of no use

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.