TIG Cooler - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Subscribed to this thread...Buyin a brand new HTP Invertig 221 soon to have around for aluminum work and other TIG needs,i will also be interested in building my own cooler setup

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 08:27 AM

Last wiki edit: How to find an electrical drain Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

When I built mine I used a transmission cooler, aluminum water tank, and a fountain pump that was medium size. It needs to be pushing the water after it is cooled not pulling heated water and the stream needs to be about 1/8 inch in diameter that shoots about 1 foot horizontally (farmer tech) for pressure. I used this a few years with no problems except the noise. The trans cooler didn't even need a fan unless I was welding heavy aluminum at 200 amps for a long time.
I'd still be using it if it wasn't so loud that I had trouble hearing the phone ring over it.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:22 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by acourtjester
HI
Here is a tig cooler I built and saved a bundle.
Buy a procon pump from ebay (new $50.)
I bought a 1/3hp motor and modified it to have a fan blade on the other end.
If you build one have make sure you only run it at 50 PSI or you can blow the torch lines.
have fun
Tom
Hey Tom
Thanx for sharing your homemade rig.
I'm looking at building a cooler for my Miller also.
So, I looked up a ProCon pump on ebay. There's alot available from 500.00 to less than 50. Which one do you have??

Daryl
Old 02-05-2012, 04:27 PM

Kool Hand Tig

I have used baby tigs many times for field work where access limits equipment with no overheating. Aluminum is totally different. For most shop work buy an ac/dc water cooled unit with high frequency. There are still older millers and lindie's out there that will give you all you need in a welder. From the projects you've shown there should not have been an overheating problem with a water cooled unit. This usually happens on thick aluminum. If the torch starts getting warm slow down and let the water circulate. Just remember to keep your project hot, it will melt easier and let your torch stay cooler. A good welder can be a costly item but will give a refund every time you use it.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:21 AM

Last photo:

heavy metal welding

A couple of tricks I've used for thick aluminum when the machine just isn't big enough. Obviously, heating the part will help but sometimes isn't practical.
You can use helium as a shielding gas. It'll make a hotter weld pool. Bad thing is it's expensive, you have to use more of it and it's less stable. To fix that, I've run a mix with argon. You need 2 flow meters and a splitter. I'll run 5-10 CFH He & 10 CFH Ar. Helps with the above problems. There's also the trick of running 100% He and DCSP. Everything has to be cleaner than clean and absolute control is a must. Not for amatures.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:42 AM

Helium

Thick aluminum is a challenge and using Helium does make for quicker heating and increased penetration. When Lindie invented the Tig welding process they called it Heliarc welding because Helium was the primary shielding gas. Other gasses became more practical and Heliarc Became Tig, just be sure not to get Helium use to fill balloons. I use a hand held propane torch from the hardware when welding thick aluminum such as heads. All these tips are good to know and thanks for the post. There is no substitute for experience.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:03 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Before building the cooler I just had to stop every now and then to let it cool.

To properly let the torch cool as soon as I stopped I pulled the torch apart to help is cool.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:11 PM

Last journal entry: Barry's Vega
Last photo:

cool your TIG torch

Just hook a solenoid to your torch and have it turn on when you start the arc. hook the inlet of the solenoid to your tap water and the outlet to your sink drain. It doesn't use that much water and it is always cool water going to the torch. Another advantage is no noise. I did it this way with my Miller Aircrafter (450 amp machine).

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.