Tig and Mig questions for new buyer. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2010, 01:35 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tig and Mig questions for new buyer.

Hi all,
I have been looking at buy a Tig or Mig for body work on cars. I have used a mig on steel tube etc but never on car panels and see someone useing a Tig and the welds look so much smaller and flatter so probably better as they would require less dressing. I noticed some Tigs listed as aluminum or not aluminum, whats the difference and how do i tell it its not stated?
How thick of steel per amperage can i do with a tig?
What should i know about buying a tig welder etc?

(there is a chance i might buy a 200amp mig aswell if the need arises)
thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2010, 07:00 AM

Last photo:

A Mig welder is great for sheet metal work. It heats the surrounding metal less and warps less. With practice the bead can be controlled to very small. Most better machines also have "spot" weld capabilities.

A Tig machine for steel only has no "high frequency". AC This is needed on aluminum for cleaning of the weld and better starting of arc..
Old 06-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Just stuck

Last photo:

If you want to learn more about TIG or MIG, you might check out U-tube for TIG and MIG vids....there's a ton of them on there and some of them are really good.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:36 AM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

They're good for different things...

I would argue that 90% of what the typical person would want to weld with car projects can be done with a MIG, but there are things that TIG specializes in. There are people that do somewhat specialized work that will tell you "I can do everything with a TIG," but i will say that most of the time I can do without my TIG, but there are times I wouldn't be without my MIG. Yes, there are things that I couldn't get finished without a TIG, but I could fit them up and even tack them with a MIG and take them to a local shop to have them TIGed if I had to, where the other way around there are some things that I'd have a very difficult time doing with a TIG and just wouldn't be able to get done.

Basically, if you just need it done or if speed is an issue you need a MIG, but as things get more precise and "high end" then a TIG gets more important.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Last photo:

I would agree with all comments about the MIG being used for most all welds associated with auto work. I would also add that a TIG is going to be quite a bit more expensive than a MIG.

Vince
Old 07-02-2010, 12:01 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

For TIG if the machine has AC Weld output then it can do aluminum. Some machines are DC only, for example I have a Miller Maxstar 90 that is a DC only TIG that's strictly for sheet metal. Miller now makes maxstars that are 150 Amps and do Stick or Tig and weigh around 10 pounds, which is great if you only need to do light work and have limited space. I would suggest poking around on Miller and Lincolns websites to get an idea of the machine's they offer in both categories (MIG AND TIG) and see which fits your needs best.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.