"TIG" welding gloves vs MIG welding gloves. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,215 Times in 1,072 Posts
"TIG" welding gloves vs MIG welding gloves.

Back a few years ago I was on a welding supply truck and he guy had these beautiful welding gloves. They were WAY thinner leather than the ones I had used all my life and weren't clumsy like the thick ones I was accustomed to. They were labeled as "TIG" welding gloves, can't see why they wouldn't work with the MIG so I gave them a shot. Now, this was a number of years ago (five or more) and though they have gotten a couple of burns thru them they are well worth the slightly less protection if you ask me.

Do any of you guys use anything like this?

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7707.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	982.9 KB
ID:	54185  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2011, 07:43 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Back a few years ago I was on a welding supply truck and he guy had these beautiful welding gloves. They were WAY thinner leather than the ones I had used all my life and weren't clumsy like the thick ones I was accustomed to. They were labeled as "TIG" welding gloves, can't see why they wouldn't work with the MIG so I gave them a shot. Now, this was a number of years ago (five or more) and though they have gotten a couple of burns thru them they are well worth the slightly less protection if you ask me.

Do any of you guys use anything like this?

Brian
We had them at the mine all the time . A pair followed me home. I also love them. They aren't thick enough for insulating against heat with heavy stick welding, but are fine with the 3/32' rod that I use in my shop. They are actually thin enough that you can fell what you are holding. Besides, I couldn't get my thick fingers in any of the regular welding glove that we had. I gave away all the regular welding gloves that I was carrying in my truck, for my welders, when I retired. BTW... Thanks for the reminder, I need to get down to the welding supply to get another pair of TIG gloves. Also try them for grinding. Saves on the shirt sleeves.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:

I use those kind for welding but use the thicker ones for plasma cutting..I also use a different hood for plasma cutting..

Sam
Old 04-02-2011, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

If I hadn't found them by accident I would have never known, they really are much better. As Abu on the Simpsons would say "Oh yes, they are almost sensual"

Brian
Old 04-02-2011, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

I have the same Tillman gloves, bought them on Ebay for $12. Eastwood also sells them...and yes they are very comfortable.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:20 AM

Last journal entry: Time vs money
Last photo:

Will have to try them. Don't like the thick gloves so I use cotton gloves with the rubber nubs ($1.95 / pair). So far no issues with them catching fire. No good regarding heat so I keep pliers close by. I do go through shirt sleeves quickly when grinding so will try these there as well. Thanks for the info.

I should post a picture of the blue jeans I bought at a Salvation Army store for $4.00. Figured they would be good shop pants. They had the bottom of the legs freyed. Don't weld with freyed anything on. Caught fire and I didn't notice until the flames were knee high. Should have video taped it. Me dancing around with a MIG gun in one hand, cut off pliers in the other trying to put out the flames with one foot while dancing on the other.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:37 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Call me lucky or stupid. I seldom wear gloves mig welding or plasma cutting. I am big into clamps and pliers for holding or moving hot metal. When my son bought the TIG, he picked up a pair of TIG welders gloves that look more like driving gloves. They are made from Nomex with a tight fitting wrist band to keep sparks from getting under the glove material. I have tried them but don't trust them to pick up a piece of hot steel.

Trees
Old 04-03-2011, 08:45 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

i used to have a pair of those, they made me feel like a "3 musketeer"
Old 04-03-2011, 09:43 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

finger sleeve

I've seen finger sleeves you can slip over your finger on your tig gloves for added heat protection when you slide your hand along the hot material heating up the pinky finger. . depends on how you hold the torch and what finger gets too hot and how many you need. .
Old 04-03-2011, 11:13 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
I've seen finger sleeves you can slip over your finger on your tig gloves for added heat protection when you slide your hand along the hot material heating up the pinky finger. . depends on how you hold the torch and what finger gets too hot and how many you need. .

Ahh, interesting.

Brian
Old 04-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

they are much better for light use, but I doubt that they would survive that much heavy use. I typically wear through the trigger finger on my right hand first mig welding, then the matching thumb. I also have the issue with the back of my hand/pinky finger overheating if I'm running some long, hot beads, but I rarely wear through that area, more insulation would just help me keep going longer...
Old 04-03-2011, 04:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
Call me lucky or stupid. I seldom wear gloves mig welding or plasma cutting. I am big into clamps and pliers for holding or moving hot metal. When my son bought the TIG, he picked up a pair of TIG welders gloves that look more like driving gloves. They are made from Nomex with a tight fitting wrist band to keep sparks from getting under the glove material. I have tried them but don't trust them to pick up a piece of hot steel.

Trees
Call me the same.. Sometimes I wear one on one hand just to hold while I weld with the other.. No welding gloves though, just your usual work gloves..

Of course, I don't grab the metal afterwards.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:23 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

I use the Tilman tig gloves all the time. At the last TIG shop I would go thru a pair a night in production welding.

There actually is an even better quality pair with softer leater. I use these at the racecar shop. they are used only for TIG never any other process and never for handling material other than while welding. I keep the worn out ones and double them up for material handling.

For TIG welding you need clean gloves with no oil,dirt or grease on them. When they get dirty they are work gloves and you need a new pair.

You can not weld with bare hands either. The oil and dirt on you hands will contaminate the weld wire. It's hard enough to pass weld tests without adding to the difficulty.

Also don't kid your self, the ultraviolet from welding is just as bad for the skin on your hands as it is on the rest of you.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:53 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwings

'SNIP'

Also don't kid your self, the ultraviolet from welding is just as bad for the skin on your hands as it is on the rest of you.

X2.... I was thinking the same thing .
Old 04-09-2011, 05:49 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Not only that but welding without gloves can ruin a perfectly good manicure.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.