TIG Welding Question - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 03:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I need some help if you guys don't mind. I say this in Harbor fright the other day and was thinking of gitting one and wanted another opinion http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91811 or look for idem number 91811-1VGA

The one question I have is does the need to be used with argon? The bottle on my mig is a 75% argon and 25%co2. Can I use this bottle ?? I will only be welding mild steel or some Stainless. Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2005, 04:07 PM

Last photo:

C25 will not work with a TIG setup. I tried this a few years ago and all it did was ruin the tungsen if and when I could keep an arc going for maybe an inch or so. 100% argon made a world of difference and lets your arc do what is supposed to do. I know how you are feeling, OH NO ANOTHER BOTTLE!!!!
Old 02-02-2005, 04:52 PM

Yea that's what I was trying to avoid. That why I was asking. I did not know if tha co2 would cause trouble or not. That is just depressing. Thanks for the info I gess I will need to check on another bottle.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:19 AM

Last photo:

Troad-Take a look at that duty cycle, one can generally get away with that with a MIG for small jobs but I think that for TIG it would get to be a PITA
Old 02-03-2005, 10:04 AM

Last photo:

Using Co2 or C25 on aluminum will leave impurities if you are mig or tig welding. Read this web site on argon. http://www.praxair.com/praxair.nsf/0...?OpenDocument. You will find what can be used with aluminum and what gases or mixes are acceptable. Co2 is not for aluminum in pure form or mix. Aliminum mig welded with C25 will give you impurities. I would not use it even for small jobs as that small job could turn into a major disaster. There is all kinds of websites that discusses welding gasses, you should search them to know for sure for yourself.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:57 PM

Cool thanks for the info. I am not going to weld aluminum. Was just wanting to weld mild steel or maybe some stainless. I know my small MIG would did the job. But I wanted to be able to tig because I like how it looks when done right.I don't know if I could even do it right, it has been years. I know a guy that uses straight co2 on his MIG. He does a lot of steel. He told me the co2 penetrates better, and cheep to weld with. Thats why I was wondering about using my 75%argon and 25%co2. But there again he was using a MIG. Older the duty cycle is 35% @ 130amp. I know it will not be great for a lot of things. Mostly I was looking at it to play with to see if I could remember how to tig with out spending a lot on one. I know it would not be strong enough for frames, but I though about exhaust pipes and some brackets. I don't think it would do roll bars but that would be nice. Thanks all.

gcrmcc Thanks again on that sight I have that one MARKED !!!!!

Last edited by Troadster; 02-03-2005 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:47 PM

Last photo:

I should have been a little more clear, Co2 or C25 will not work for any TIG welding, steel or aluminim. I went to the HF link you posted and I don't think you could weld aluminum with TIG you are looking at anyway. I guess I asummed you were going to weld aluminum. I am sorry. Hope the web site helped you on the gas.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:54 PM

Yes it did thanks
Old 02-12-2005, 06:33 AM

Tig welding aluminum

Hi, I'm new here and found this very interesting. I am a welder by trade and have spent the last two years welding aluminum for the engine cradles on Grand Prix and Buick Lacrosse. These cradles use aluminum that is 4mm and 6mm in thickness. A pure tungsten, which I have tried spreads the heat two much and becomes difficult to control. I use a Miller Dynasty 300 and Miller recommends using a 2% Ceriated or Thoriated tungsten for AC welding. The aluminum does need to be cleaned of aluminum oxides using a wire brush but the brush must be stainless steel. Any carbon will contaminate the weld.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:20 AM

Last photo:

Something to consider--

http://www.pro-fusiononline.com/tung...ioactivity.htm

Also from AWS

www.aws.org/technical/facts/FACT-27.PDF#search='thoriated%20tungsten'

Last edited by oldred; 02-12-2005 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:58 PM

Thoriated Tungsten

I have heard something about the radioactivity of thoriated tungsten. At the GM plant where I work we only use ceriated. It is Miller Electrics suggestion to use either Thoriated or Ceriated when AC tig welding. I believe they should drop the Thoriated. Thanks

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.