TIG Welding Stainless Exhaust - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2006, 05:46 PM
Buster

Wiki Edits: 0

TIG Welding Stainless Exhaust

I am in the process of building a S/S exhaust system for my '32 Ford roadster. In my practice welds (Miller, Syncrowave 180SD, TIG welder), I am getting quite a bit of "dross" or slag on the inside of my welds. The outside looks pretty good, but I am concerned that this slag on the inside (beyond reach to it grind out) will affect the performance of my engine.

I tried "purging, or using backing gas" on the inside of the pipe, and this seems to help a bit. I put together a simple shop-made purging system, but really do not know how much CFH to push into the pipe to create the optimal welding environment.

Any suggestions on purging, and/or general stainless pipe welding techniques for producing a solid and pretty exhaust system would be appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2006, 06:03 PM
Without risk, failure happens

Last journal entry: Almost finished
Last photo:

I just finished a TIG welding class using a Miller Aerowave and I used everything to try to stop the "dross" on the backside of the weld of stainless. So I asked the instructor about the problem, and he said it has to be purged with gas and preferrably Helium. The Helium creates a more intense localized heat, evidently.
He said you have to experiment a little with the amount of gas pressure and gas exit, but when you get it right little or no "dross" will be present. Also, he said to use very little filler rod, mostly fusion weld. He used to be a welder for a semi conductor company and all their machines are SS with high purity welds.
And I assume the filler rod should be the same composite as the tubing. Or would a rod with more nickel do a better job? Hmmm, I'll have to research that one!

If you get a better weld, let us know - always trying to improve my welds!
Old 03-22-2006, 07:04 PM
Buster

Thanks for the info. I will try the "light on the filler rod" technique. Sounds reasonable to me. I am using Argon as my back gas, since this is what I use for my shielding gas. As for the filler rod, all I can find is ER308L, and I am welding 304 stainless. The guys at my welding supply store say that's OK, but I still have my doubts. I will post a reply when I have a chance to experiment a little more.

Buster
Old 03-22-2006, 07:50 PM

Last photo:

Buster

Your on the right track with the back purge. Make sure to seal the ends of the pipe with tape and purge at around 10 cfh for ten minutes( this forces out the air so only the argon remains inside ). Purge from one end and exhaust from the other. Use a 1/4" exhaust hole and reduce the purge to around 3 or 4 cfh prior to welding. The 308 wire is OK. Use minimum amount possible to reduce dropthru. A little practice and it will look fine.

Oljoedog

Live long race hard.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:15 PM

I was a welder at a stainless steel pipe and tube mamufacturer for 30 yrs,and i have never seen slag on a stainless pipe. You either have burned weld or sunken weld. If you have a good fit you can run a low amp bead to seal the crack then fill with gas and do a full penetration weld. You can just duct tape the ends and leave a small opening on the exit end. Have your joint lower than the exit hole since argon is heavieer than air. 308 wire is correct for type 304, the 308L is just a better grade made for 304L metal.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:28 PM
Without risk, failure happens

Last journal entry: Almost finished
Last photo:

Thanks to the input by Oljoedog and clintb I've learned some more!!
I've seen the inside condition of the weld that Buster is referring and I know it's not dross or slag but it's the best description for this problem, I believe.
I suspect it's some sort of oxidation such as what happens to aluminum when it's not properly cleaned or gas shielded, but I'm only guess here.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.