Tight 406 Chevy Engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2002, 08:34 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Tight 406 Chevy Engine

I have a 406 chevy small block that was put together by someone I don't know.
It will run fine If you start it up cold and take a trip of even 1000 miles. It runs great if you start it cold, take a ride, long or short, then wait about 2 hours, for the motor to cool down, it will start right up, OK!

But.... if you shut it off for about 2 minutes and then try to start it, it cranks real...... slow...... won't start, and has burned out many starters.

I am wondering if the heads were not torqued in the proper sequence, ( it being a thin wall 400 chevy ) would the block warp enough, when the water pump stopped turning, to let the heat get up high enough in the block to cause piston/Wall interference ( egg shaped bore? ) and cause the hard starting. Then when the block cools, the bore would get round, allowing the pistons to turn over freely and start up?
specs:
9 1/2:1 compression, competition cams #270, Performer manifold, 625 cfm Carter Carb.

Any one ever heard of this happening? Any other ideas?

Marty

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2002, 11:29 AM

Your engine is probably fine. The problem is electrical. I've seen it many times on older cars, especially w/headers or modified exhaust systems. The problem has 2 possible sources and both should be checked. 1) Exhaust pipe is too close to starter, heating it up and increasing internal resistance. Resistance equals Voltage drop and that's bad. Solution is: Move exhaust away from starter and/or put a heat shield between starter and pipe and/or change starter to a smaller "hi-torq" unit. 2)Check ALL electrical connections to starter. This includes grounding (the hidden culprit). Add a ground strap from block to chassis if there's not already one there. Make sure the battery is up to par and clean or replace all cable ends. Corrosion = resistance = voltage drop. You should be good to go.
Old 07-02-2002, 06:58 PM
never 2 old to learn

Martyz7, have to agree with Raggmopp. Sounds like heat getting to the starter. Have had a problem like that and insatlled a remote stater solenoid from MSD. Worked great after that.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:55 PM

This application has the Small Block 406 chevy mated to the 1983 Pontiac Trans Am 5 speed manual transmission.
1. It has heat shielding wrapped around the starter and solenoid.
2. There is apparently no Mini or gear reduction starter available for this application.
I purchased the one that is supposed to work with either the 168 or 153 tooth flywheel, but it doesn't mate up the mounting holes are too far apart.

I am going to wrap the headers with the heat resistant tape to reduce heat around the starter area,and I may try the remote ford type starter.

Again anyone heard of a tight engine being caused by wrong torque / tightening sequence of the head bolts?
Old 07-04-2002, 11:25 AM

Had the same problem with my 454. As discussed in the previous posts on this subject, it was electrical (poor ground). Added a second ground cable from the back of the engine (bellhousing bolt) to a cleaned off spot on the frame, and problem went away. Also, you should double check your initial timing to make sure it isn't too far advanced. Scott

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.