Tight Spaces - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 09:34 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Tight Spaces

I first want to thank all of you experienced folks for sharing your knowledge. I have read most if not all of the info on this web page about working sheetmetal and am amazed at how easy it can be when people have told you what to do. I don't mean it's easy so that everyone can do it, I mean it's not so intimidating when you kinda know what to expect. I don't expect my car to be filler free but there will be a whole lot less in it than I expected when I bought it. Now for my question. I have a small crease which caused a larger dent above the rear wheel well. I cannot get a hammer in there. Can I wedge a dolly in between the fender and the wheel well and work it with a hammer and shrink it from outside? I believe as the crease disapears the dent will pop out. This is a 52 ford so I'm working with curved metal in part of this. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2006, 04:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Depends. Some times you can pry out on the metal and then while someone holds pressure on what you are prying with you can work around the edge of the dent with a hammer to work it out if its in the right spot and not work hardened. Being the location of yours and the fact they used a lot heavy gauge metal back then, it may be difficult to do. You could try prying and seeing if you can get it to come out, just don't go pounding with a bar or something leaving a bunch of bumps in the surface. Had someone bring one once that they tryed doing there own dent fixin, and they made a mess and had to use more filler then I probably would of if they would have left it alone. Stud welders work well on small creases and to work out dents that aren't too severe when you have limited access to the back of the repair. If you don't have a stud welder you could possibly tack on some screws or tabs and pull with a den't puller or come a long. I am not real sure of what you are looking at or that vehicle and the access, but sometimes you can use a small hydraulic porta power to push out where you have no room to swing a hammer or bump with a dolly. I am assuming are talking about the quarter panel even though you said fender, but also said rear wheelwell. If it were the fender which is removable then I would just take it off to work it if I couldn't get it out with a stud welder. I don't always know how I am going to attack a dent when I have limited access. Sometimes I try different things and see what is working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.