tilt steering column?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2003, 12:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

tilt steering column??

anyone know a good tilt steering column i can fit into my 61 chevy wagon. - something i wont have to put a million hours into to make work. no power steering, and i dont need a key on the column. any ideas would be great..
thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2003, 05:40 AM

Last photo:

steering column

ididit, an aftermarket manufacturer makes columns with a lifetime warranty. www.ididitinc.com
have fun & run what u brung !
Old 07-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

I agree with fast ford go with the IDIDIT unit put one in the 57 and love it. on a 61 chevy what steering box are you going to use? the original had the shaft from the box to the steering wheel.
Old 07-06-2003, 02:09 PM

Last photo:

i should have added...i need it to be cheap....like junk yard cheap...safe...but cheap...
Old 07-06-2003, 05:34 PM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

I understand being cheap, The biggest problem is going to be adapting the column to you steering box. although a few tilt column were built prior to 1967 most are in post 67 cars that used the rag joint instead of the solid shaft from the steering box to the wheel. As far as the column you are looking for without the key you are going to pay top dollar for them as both the street rod crowd and the restorers seek them out. They were available in the 67 and 68 models only as the 69 almost universally came with the key on the column. There are a few exceptions as the van tilts up to about 79 and pickups up to 72. You will most likely pay as much for one of these as you will for a new IDIDIT or a Flamming River which come with all new commponents.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:55 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Most people use Chvey van columns because they have the gear indicator on the column and no key. I used a standard car column and adapted a gear selector -- glued a van (or older model non-tilt) selector quadrant to my column and a pointer on the moving end. It works. As for the key -- I couldn't use the switch because there isn't enough room under the dash for the switch on the column. So I removed all that and put a chrome metal plug over the switch hole. Looks better than an extra key switch anyway. The only modifications I had to do was to the foot where it connects to the floor. I cut the one off the column with a cut-off wheel. Early GMs usually had a clamp-on foot, so you should be okay. My Rambler had a flange on the column perpendicular to the column then a bolt on foot that fit to the floor. I split the bolt on foot so I could get it on the "new" column, then made two right angle brackets to bolt to the foot where the original column bolted on. A big pipe clamp holds the column to the brackets. I also had to make a new bracket to hold th column to the dash, but that was easy as bending a 2" wide strip of 1/8" steel and drilling to fit.

As already mentioned, you'll have to cut your steering shaft and weld on an end for a rag joint. I think I have a better suggestion though. Get a steering shaft (short one) from a newer car. You'll notice they use a "double D" shaft on the collapsible part, with the hollow part toward the column. Pull the lower solid part out (might take a hammer). Cut you original shaft off then grind two flats on it so it will slide into the upper part of the newer shaft. Don't worry about the "sping", just make sure you have at least 6" of overlap in the shaft. Now you have a collapsible column as well! At least it will collapse some (instead of pushing the wheel into your chest) in a catastrophic wreck, and if it pushes at much of an angle would come out.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.