Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Tilter; Rotisserie; or Ramp?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2006, 07:43 AM
Tow Chainer

Last wiki edit: Rebuilding an early Hemi engine
Last journal entry: cruise pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Hmm I wonder if having all the weight in the front would make a difference with the rotisserie. Or more importantly to the lift point of the car. You would really be putting alot of pressure on where ever you hook the rotisserie to the car body. Depending on the car it could cause problems.

As for building one. I just did. Cost me probably $500 in materials give or take and its pretty stout. That is with paying my local metal supplier to do most of the cuts. I used the pattern on

www.autobody101.com

with some modifications. First DOM tubing is insane priced. I saved about $100 by going with regular pipe near the sizes, which I got shipped from:

http://www.metalsdepot.com/

I have some more space in my rotation point, but with the stripped body of my 54 dodge on it, I have no problems turning it.

I also used Harbor freight casters, the ones I used where iron with rubber on them. They work pretty good and I can roll it around fine. If they wear out they where only $4 each instead of much more.

I also increased the vertical square piece length by about 6 inches, and I'm still inches short of being able to fully turn my car. I get to about 75 degrees, not 90. When I did this I also forgot to increase the length of the T bar that adjusts the center of gravity. So I have to lift the body quite a bit to just get it into the adjuster.

I am at the ends of my t bar to hook up to the body mounts on the 54 dodge. To manage this I tailored my body mounts to go to the outside of the arms.

Now that is on the rotisserie, I am very happy to at least be sitting and not laying down. This has made scraping off the black sound deadener MUCH easier. (Still Sucks, but easier)

I probably should snap some good pics of it and put it in my gallery. You can see the car on it there, but none of just the rotisserie.