Tilter; Rotisserie; or Ramp? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2006, 03:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Tilter; Rotisserie; or Ramp?

I need to get to the bottom of my projects to work on the rusted body parts and other items like exhaust and mechanical parts. All of the projects are smaller less then 3500lbs cars complete (Ford Anglia, Datsun 240z, etc.). I have looked at the Rotisseries & vehicle tilter from accessible systems and also at the kwiklift ramp system. I'd like to keep the car whole (except for maybe the tires and wheels) and work on it as well as tear it down to the body. If my car is under the weight max limit can I just put the whole thing on a Rotisserie and turn it on it's side? besides fluids leaking out, any other issues I'm missing? the tilter system would be nice but the car may not be as accessible as on a rotisserie. The kwiklift ramp system looks easy but then I'm on my back all the time.

Any thoughts? I could even build my own rotisserie if the mood and time lend to doing that, but will it work for me.

Any thoughts and sugestions or advice?

Thanks in advance,

Herb in PA

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2006, 06:43 AM
Tow Chainer

Last wiki edit: Rebuilding an early Hemi engine
Last journal entry: cruise pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Hmm I wonder if having all the weight in the front would make a difference with the rotisserie. Or more importantly to the lift point of the car. You would really be putting alot of pressure on where ever you hook the rotisserie to the car body. Depending on the car it could cause problems.

As for building one. I just did. Cost me probably $500 in materials give or take and its pretty stout. That is with paying my local metal supplier to do most of the cuts. I used the pattern on

www.autobody101.com

with some modifications. First DOM tubing is insane priced. I saved about $100 by going with regular pipe near the sizes, which I got shipped from:

http://www.metalsdepot.com/

I have some more space in my rotation point, but with the stripped body of my 54 dodge on it, I have no problems turning it.

I also used Harbor freight casters, the ones I used where iron with rubber on them. They work pretty good and I can roll it around fine. If they wear out they where only $4 each instead of much more.

I also increased the vertical square piece length by about 6 inches, and I'm still inches short of being able to fully turn my car. I get to about 75 degrees, not 90. When I did this I also forgot to increase the length of the T bar that adjusts the center of gravity. So I have to lift the body quite a bit to just get it into the adjuster.

I am at the ends of my t bar to hook up to the body mounts on the 54 dodge. To manage this I tailored my body mounts to go to the outside of the arms.

Now that is on the rotisserie, I am very happy to at least be sitting and not laying down. This has made scraping off the black sound deadener MUCH easier. (Still Sucks, but easier)

I probably should snap some good pics of it and put it in my gallery. You can see the car on it there, but none of just the rotisserie.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:01 AM

Good point on the weight distribution

I was wondering if that would be the problem with the rotisserie. I guess that's why I never see a complete car on that type of device.

I just got an old book that gives plans and directions on how to make your own car tilter. It's designed to work with a complete car, but I need to do a little more research on it because it's build for one car/wheel bolt pattern (utilizes old wheels bolted to the car as part of the tilter), so I would need to build it so I could work with multiple bolt patterns.

I'll try and post some pics from the book to see what everyone thinks from the book if it's ok to do so.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Last photo:

Most, if not all are designed for a body and frame, not a complete car or not even a body/frame/drivetrain. It's just way too much weight. Another problem would be rotating that much weight. You would have to have some kind of geared system. There is no way I would get under it that is for sure.

Vince
Old 01-18-2006, 11:44 AM

Last journal entry: Tube front clip
Last photo:

somewhere there is a pic of a full size complete Chevy suburban on a rotisserie,

I'm sure it was just to prove a point but damn those are heavy!! so Im sure it can be done
Old 01-19-2006, 02:28 PM

ramps

industrl
I have had a kwiklift now for about 6 years - love it.

on certain cars you can sit under them, depending on the car.
I have done a little bit of everything on it. (well - not everything !! )
I strongly recommend it.

www.kwiklift.com
Old 01-19-2006, 04:59 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

just remember, you have to get the car on it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0823.jpg
Views:	1319
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	9343  

Last edited by shine; 01-19-2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:28 PM
Last photo:

Hey Shine, where is Bluff Dale, Texas?

Vince
Old 01-19-2006, 06:42 PM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

sw of dfw area on 377 south. near stephnville. cow country
Old 01-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

I'm looking forward to building one of these. Will really come in handy in my shop.

Shine, I live in Cleburne out west of the lake. We need to get together sometime.

Countilaw
Old 01-20-2006, 12:43 PM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

hey neighbor, my sister in law lives close to cleburne . he owns a medical supply there. small world huh. i went to school in burleson till the 8th grade.
i overbuilt my rotisserie using thickwall materials. i media blasting stuff now so it will get used a lot. for a home used one it can be a lot lighter and easier to manage. mine weighs as much as the car. your welcome to come look and measure mine. i don't leave the farm unless i have to. freaked out by the fires. have a r/r to the south. my place is hay field and woods. i'm right in the middle.
there's pictures of the rotisserie on my web page.
shine
Old 01-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

I may just come over there and take a look. My wife's uncle is a welder that just retired. I hope he's starting to look for things to do. LOL. I've got several jobs for him if he's willing.

I live out in the country too. Just west of the lake off of 1434 and 67. I work in the neighborhood of 377 and 171.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:53 PM

rottisserie

I went to columbus for the goodguys show> I saw three different styles, took pics and some measurements. Then I went to the local steel shop had the pieces cut and welded it up in a weekend. I have had a 57 chevy on it and a 38 ford sedan. In reguards to haviving a gear system not a bad idea. Two guys can rotate a car on mine with little or no problem. In answer to If I would work under it yes I would and have. I am usin 1/4 wall square tubing.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:36 AM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

Wbusch what did the steel cost you?
Old 01-21-2006, 04:56 PM

Last photo:

poor man method

This is a poor mans method. It works pretty well. Two people can easily tip it. I use an engine hoist to catch and lower it when tipping it back to its wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0404.JPG
Views:	1515
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	9390   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00750s.JPG
Views:	1973
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	9391  

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.