Tilting front end? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2005, 02:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tilting front end?

I've just installed a one piece tilting front end on my '73 Laguna. I designed a hinge that permits me to slide the entire front end forward about 6 inches then tilt therefore avoiding having to cut the fenders as many do. However, I forgot that the fenders on this model are curved considerably inward toward the ground and that when I go to tilt it gets caught on part of the firewall. I then have to flex the fenders outwards on both sides to clear everything. I'm not sure what to do about this...shall I trim the firewall?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,187 Times in 1,046 Posts
Marcus, first off, cut off the entire lower lip where it use to bolt on, you won't be needing that. I have seen similar tilt problems solved with a small nylon wheel that rolled on a track as the offening part went by, this may be an idea.

Brian
Old 08-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Can you post some pictures to show the problem? I built a similar mechanism for a tilt forward hood on a '42 Willys pickup. Fenders embed into the front of the body and stick out door hinges compound the interference to tilt. By sliding forward 6" or so first. I avoided all the interference and it works super.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:46 AM

Last photo:

I like the idea of little nylon rollers and trimming the bolt holes however I'm not sure whether this would work adequately in this case. I will post some pics tomorrow to give a better idea as to the extent of the problem.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:59 PM

Last photo:

Here's a couple of pics of the problem I'm having. I guess I could trim the welded seams on both sides. The door hinges also present a problem although I could probably trim those as well. Even with these mods the firewall will still be a problem and I will still be forced to flex the fenders to open and close the front end. I'm tempted to cut back the firewall entirely although this would be a real hassle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tilt1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	6395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tilt2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	6396  
Old 08-13-2005, 08:58 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,187 Times in 1,046 Posts
I think you have found the reason why people always cut the fenders on a tilt front end. Unless a tilt front end is well thought out, well planned and executed they are usually sloppy, rattlely messes.

If you think that fender is only barely hitting, think again. With the fenders down in place and fit against the doors, get the car up in the air so you can measure across from one fender lip to the other side. This is the width the firewall would have to be to clear the fenders. I will bet you a dollar it is a LOT narrower than you are thinking. I will bet you that dollar that those fender tips on the bottom are about 12 to 18 inches narrower than the widest point of the cowl sides (firewall sides).That would mean you would have to cut eight or so inches out of the width on each side!

Go out and measure before you start cutting!!

Brian
Old 08-13-2005, 10:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Your only practical option may be to cut a horizontal line @ the widest part of the fenders and attach the lower pieces to the cab. Not a great option 'cause that joint is always ugly but my be all yo can do. IF so, spend some effort on creating a way to make that joint invisible. That would be a unique addition to hot rodding!
Old 08-13-2005, 09:03 PM

Last photo:

I'm learning a lesson the hard way I guess. I'm going to measure the fender lips as was suggested and subtract it from the width of the firewall and see how much I would have to cut. I have a feeling it's going to be a lot. Now I'm thinking I should have just cut the fenders and lived with the look...
Old 08-14-2005, 09:56 AM

Fenders drag?

I had a similar problem with applying a tilt to my truck. In my case I trimmed a little; 1 1/2 - 2" each side, from the bottom of the fenders behind the wheelwells. Then reduced the width of the firewall by cutting away about an 1 1/2" either side of the air ducts for the kick panel vents. I then welded a flat panel over the opening that made the firewall more or less the same width as the front hinge posts. The problem then was that the front end would hit the protruding door hinges as the hood was opened and closed so I picked up some nylon flat stock; MTSB or something like that,I really don't remember the abbreviation, and created a filler between the hinges as deep as the hinge and bolts.I also created a "Ramp" above and below the hinges to aid in guiding the front end over the hinges.
This worked well for me...Good luck.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.