Tilting frontend HELP!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2003, 11:46 PM

Last journal entry: Final getting around to start back up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tilting frontend HELP!!

Hello Fellow Rodders!
I was wondering if i could get some tips on tilt front ends?
I recently put my entire front clip back together, with new hardware and felting. I now am have a hard time trying to put the darn thing on some type of a hinge system, i have read some parts of doing this by other members, but i can't find anymore on this type of threads..would any of you have any bright ideas for me to do this, first time builder, and i would like it to work for me, as i am just an amateur streetrodder right now.. LOL!!! I am working so hard to get this car the way i want it , "Man it is really Hard Work" i have more plans for this thing later, like suicide doors, shaved handles,etc... well now i better go since i have made you tired of reading!!! LOL. Talk to you all later.

Sincerely , MY streetrod family and me " Bill" streetrodder31
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2003, 05:50 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Arrow

One reason you probably heven't seen too many threads on the subject is that it is very unique to each vehicle. When I did my first tilt I looked at one that was already done ( I owned an E type Jag) and followed the principles it had. There are several kits offered for '50's F100 trucks and MAS offers one for their one piece 'glass frontends, you should look at what they offer and build similar. On things like that I build them out of small diameter rod to get the mechanics down before I build it for use( makes it easier to modify and tweak).
Old 07-26-2003, 11:13 PM

Last photo:

tilt hoods

tilt hoods in real steel are heavy fiber glass is an easy way out
a 56 i worked on when i had my shop had a gallaxy graft front end this gave the truck pwr steer a 390 ci and disc brakes it
allso provided a great place to mount the hinges from memory
it had two pivot pins this gave it an upward and outward motion when opening and they welded some of the iner gaurd /fender skirt to the fire wall this involved a slice with the agle grinder aprox 1 o'clock to 7 oclock through the skirt on the drivers side USA so some went up with the hood and some stayed at the fire wall
Old 07-29-2003, 12:24 AM
Where's my Sawzall?

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation
Last journal entry: More progress...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

What I did with the '54 Ford...

Tilt nose for the '54 Ford

Doc
Old 07-29-2003, 06:23 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally posted by woodz428
One reason you probably heven't seen too many threads on the subject is that it is very unique to each vehicle.
This is very true. Each is unique.

What you have to do first is take a look at your clip and how it goes together. A good planning point would be to use the spot where the lower front valence (if the car has one) bolts to the fenders. This is a good spot to design a bracket (one for each side) that can tie the front end together and act as a mounting system for the tilt mechanism.

When designing a system you need to determine exactly where the system needs to tilt. You don't want a system that tilts in the wrong place and winds up with the grill in the ground when only partially opened. Once the tilt location is determined you can design brackets that will allow you to mount the system in the correct location.

A couple of simple 3/4" rod ends are more than strong enough to act as a hinges and can easily be attached to the frame rails with simple brackets.

Bottom line is that unless you find a commercially available unit that will work for your front end you'll have to design a system unique to your car.

Hopefully you can get some ideas from these pics. They show how I did this on my 41 Chevy.

Good luck.

Centerline
http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com
Old 07-30-2003, 05:41 PM

Last journal entry: Final getting around to start back up
Last photo:

Thumbs up Thanks for the Help!

Hey Thanks alot for your idea's and advice on the tilt frontend. I will take all that you gave me and put it to work.
You all are a great inspiration to me, having people able to talk to and ask ?'s. Without feeling stupiod, or a moron on building a nice machine... Take care all of you and enjoy rodding!!!

Sincerely, The Taylor Family,

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.