Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Tilton button flywheel info
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 02:24 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tilton button flywheel info

Hi all,
Am new here this is my first post, am BMW owner, I never owned a car with SBC but I always admire them for the insane power numbers, anyhow am here today looking for help from you guys.

Small intro about my BMW engine for people who are not familer with BMW engines:

Engine : m50b25 (2.5L) stroked with forged internals to reach 3.0L, this engine have straight six cylinders with 84mm piston bore and 24 valves head, I boosted my engine with kind of big turbo, the power goal is to reach around 800hp, and I want a strong clutch to hold this power.

I always seen Tilton clutches on your engines, as I decided to go with this, so I bought Tilton 7.25" (OTII) triple plate, but I don't know how to fit it now, I searched on internet to see the best way I can do this, I found that there are some companies that make flywheels for 7.25" tilton and quarter master clutches specially for my engine, but the prices are too high for me.

I found that you guys can fit button flywheel to a flexplate, so you can have light weight flywheel, I liked the idea, but there are no button flywheels for my engine, so I want to custom maid one from strong steel like steel 52, or what can handle power, and fit it on automatic flywheel, the auto flywheel are so light which can rev high.

My clutch kit have ACE sintered disks, and I noticed that when I put all the plates and disks inside the cover, they are little bit higher than the cover legs, like about 0.079"-0.099", and am not sure if this correct thing, cuz every flywheel and button flywheel I saw for tilton have the disk area little bit higher that the clutch legs area, so what do you think guys? is it ok or what?

Other thing, as its based on my above question, I want to fabricate button flywheel as I said before, so should I do it to have higher area on where the disks contacts the button flywheel or just flat?

higher area on where the disks contacts the button flywheel

Or just like this flat button flywheel on flexplate

thanks in advance for your help guys

Thanks,