Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - time to critic me,post likes/hate,have fun
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 12:29 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
I noticed the gap on your right door is straighter than mine but maybe a little wider.My right side door handle needs to be replaced as now you need a vice grip grab to open the door.I have to be a gentleman as my bitter 1/2 cant open the door from the outside.
also the power locks only move about 75% on the first click,gotta love those cars

Be sure to use the right type of bondo I like the stuff with the thin short fiberglass strands in it. Also dont go past the gel coat unless its cracked. then dig down deep and replace with proper glass filled bondo and a small patch of gl**** over the top. If not the same crack will be back in a few weeks.

I also noticed a lot of ppl will use heavy grit paper to sand the paint off but the body is soft and will scratch and be seen threw the paint even after finish sanding. Best to take it off slow and keep it smooth.

Do you plan to re laquer the car or use a simple enamel. The laquer process is not easy and will require a lot more paint. it is also more steps and more costly. but the vettes do look o so good when its done right. All corvettes are laquer from the factory until water based paints came along I think. I am not sure of the later years but the c3 and c4 are all laquer based paint and require a real good painter to do a factory paint job.

Most poeple and shoot single stage paints witout much issue these days. many of the paint companies sell a simple paint that is easy to use.

This is what I used when painting my vette last summer. Did it in the garage and it turned out great.

Nason Automotive Paint Finishes | DuPont Performance Coatings