Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - time to critic me,post likes/hate,have fun
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
2 owners before me,the guy got rid of the rubber ends and molded them in with fibre glass.also the ricer spoiler is molded in.When I first looked at the car the first thing I thought of was Corvette Summer,lol.

re sanding
I did start out using to coarse of paper and I regret it now.Im resanding and using fill primer and re sanding and re spraying,using 3 different colours. Im trying to talk a friend into painting my car,he uses PPG and is near retiring.He love/hates corvettes.
Yeah they can be a real pita. Best to go slow took me a year to get my car back into paint. I was working slow of course. But every little crack in the gelcoat is cleaned and fixed stronger than before.

I have seen paint jobs on vettes go very very bad. I seen a freind remove all the gelcoat and respray the car looked smooth and flat in primer in paint it looked like it was fabric ruff like surface. Took a crap load of respray and wet sanding to get it right.

Try to avoid any pain that needs more than a buffing after its complete if diy. Wet sanding is a total pita and only done for laquer cars like vettes now a days. or show cars where deep color is most important. regular good paint jobs can be done without it if the equipment is right. I ended up with a few bad spots on mine but in all it turned out alright. also shaved the door handles while i was in there.

If you use 80 or 60 grit consider skim coating the bad areas and sanding it back off filler primer is not going to work well in that case. but usally only needs it on the hood and trunk lids other parts will cover up a little better. c4 corvettes actually have a texture on the lower doors and sills so you cant sand it smooth but you also cant see it since they are so low down on the car and kinda rolled under.